Corsair Community

H50 past its best???? Help!

RobbieG

Hi peeps im currently battleing hi idle and load temps on my H50. I had this in an evga mobo with my i7 920 @ 4.2gig @ 32c idle mid 60c load with 1.35v cpu.

Changed case so smaller mobo. Case still has great cooling.

I currently have my Asus Rampage Gene iii with i7 920 @ 3.8gig @48-50c idle and hi 80c's load with 1.27v cpu.

I think my H50 is past its best, ive resetted cpu and cooler over ten times with diff tim and same results.

Does the H50 deteriorate with age after all its 16 days now past its warranty so not even a chance of a RMA as its over 2 years purchased from Overclockers.co.uk.

Any Advice welcome.

The cooler has served me well but i think its back to a hi end air cooler if these sort of things loose performance over time.

Robbie.

Have you checked that the pump is connected to a power header on motherboard so that it is getting 12v constant. Just in case it is connected to chassis_fan header that is being controlled in bios and slowing down. Could check bios is not setting power header to run less than 100% duty cycle.

As long as pump is running at at least 1200rpm then should cool CPU Ok if Cooling block is fully pressing on CPU.

• Corsair Employee

And those temps are not that out of line for that high of an O.C, but I would suggest making sure the fans and radiator are clean of dust. Just had to clean my H-50 and found the radiator was clogged after 18 Months, probably explains the 50C at idle temps with 27 Deg C Room Temp. But once it was cleaned and new fans installed back to 32-36 Deg C Idle Temps.

And yes over time the coolant will evaporate and not cool as efficiently, so I would encourage you to consider replacing it as soon as you can; $$ permitting.

Humm guess Im in this boat also.. I THINK I bought my H50 at the end of 2009.. which will make it about 2 years old and the waranteeee gives out after 2 years. But, temps are excellent.

I remember thinking about this when I bought the H50.. should I go ahead and replace a fully working cooler on the time in service.. or do I roll the dice and take a chance? Really hard decision.. but I for sure dont wanna hear a flush coming from the computer.

How is this normally handled.. shoot usually its time to replace the entire machine.. this time its not really necessary..

sorry so long winded.. take care

• Corsair Employee
Well as long as its still working well there is no need to rush to replace it; for me it was just easier to replace since I was there cleaning it anyway, not to mention I have access to all kinds of hardware that most people don't. (no offense intended) But yes I would plan for it moving forward so you are ready when it is time. I would expect these coolers to run efficiently for 3-5 years as long as they are free from dust. but past 3 years I would be watching for loss of cooling as that would suggest it was starting to degrade.

Archived