Corsair Community

Dual AX1200W Problem

Addonic

Hi Corsair, i am having a little problem with a dual psu setup. I have 2 corsair AX1200w running with an dual psu adapter from lian-li.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html

When i start the computer both psu starts up. But when it's time to shutdown the computer, only windows shuts down but the computer will not power down.

I have four lights on my motherboard, thats lights up when i start my box to check like cpu,mem,vga,boot-drive is okay. When i fire up the box the lights say it's ok. But then i shut down the box the cpu light start to shine. It's like the motherboard get the information to start up again from one of the psu:s when i try to shutdown.

My question is if you guys know of any adapter or soulution that my help me to get a working dual psu setup.

Sorry for my bad english. From sweden.

If you don't have your two power supplies configured as follows, try this:

We'll say the PS that has the main adapter part connected to it is the primary PS, and the PS that has the connector from the adapter that has only two wires on it the secondary PS.

Only connect power cables from the primary PS to the mother board, do not connect any power cables from the secondary PS to the mother board.

Also, you may need to connect your OS drive to the primary PS. If your PC case has a power connector for it's own connections, connect that to the primary PS.

Use the secondary PS only for your video cards, and to power fans, etc.

The idea is to isolate the secondary PS from the mother board and anything that controls the PC.

OMGosh, thanks guys, I really appreciate that! :o:

I just hope we hear if that worked or not, I'm curious. Maybe no news is good news?

The newer ASUS boards have diagnostic checks for the things the OP mentioned, they run before POST. The LEDs for each are on before the test passes, although that can vary a bit, it seems they all don't come on during boot at times, but if they are off during a boot, it's Ok. I'm guessing the OP has the 24 pin ATX cable from one PS, and the EPS cable from the other PS connected to the board.

The description of the problem is not very clear to me. If the only thing that happens is that CPU diagnostic LED is on, and the PC will boot later fine, that is not a big deal IMO. If only one PS shuts off, then the adapter does not work. I didn't see any info about this adapter on the manufactures site.

Sorry for the late answer. I had it setup just like parsec wrote in his first post, but i can't get it to shutdown. So i have now have it setup with a adapter to jumpstart the psu. But this means that i first need to start the second psu first and then start the computer.

Just figures, I wrote up a detailed analysis of what should be happening, vs what is happening, and maybe a fix for it, when I then came up with this:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/24/black_art_dual_psus_in_your_enthusiast_pc/1

Nice article BTW, might be a good reference for this situation.

So I'm wondering if Addonic did not have the adapter connected as shown in the article (page 5) since the AX1200 is modular, and it would be tempting to not connect it as it must be done. That is, the adapter connected directly to the mother board, rather than the adapter connected to the PS, which I am guessing is what might have been done.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling I could be right. :dunno:

• Corsair Employees

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMxMzg3NjQyNE9QNGxqaXRlMEJfNV8yX2wuanBn

That's strange. Yes do make sure the adapter is connected properly.

It probably is but common mistake do happen.

I would also check with the adapter manufactures that turning the PC off will turn off both the PSU as well?

It says that it will turn on both psu, which it does, but does it turn both off as well? let make sure we know how the adapter is suppose to function.

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTMxMzg3NjQyNE9QNGxqaXRlMEJfNV8yX2wuanBn

That's strange. Yes do make sure the adapter is connected properly.

It probably is but common mistake do happen.

I would also check with the adapter manufactures that turning the PC off will turn off both the PSU as well?

It says that it will turn on both psu, which it does, but does it turn both off as well? let make sure we know how the adapter is suppose to function.

Yes, I noticed that too, no mention of the shutdown functionality. That seemed strange to me. The manufacture of this adapter provides next to no information about it. Given the limited information on what actually happened when the OP shutdown the PC, I thought at worst they would need to turn the second PS off with it's power switch, but could turn it on immediately and it would stay off until the PC was turned on again.

It still puzzles me regarding why this adapter does not work on shutdown...:confused:

Hi, i have now instead ordered the add2psu adapter, think that this one will work for my system.

This will be a stand alone adapter and will have nothing to do with the motherboard like the l-i-a-n-l-i adapter did.

Thx for all the help, and for the link to the review so i found the new adapter.

Archived