Corsair Community

H100 Controller

bobn

The H 100 has capibility to connect four pin fans, from looking at pictures there are four of these connectors. Is the fan controller actually a pwm fan controller and are the stock corsair fans 3 pin voltage controlled or 4 pin pwm controlled?

Looked at the review and the guy says more than once they are pwm fans. The pwm standard developed by intel specifies 4 pins for pwm, but I have heard of fans useing the rpm wire for pwm and haveing 3 pins.

What I want to know is if the power to the fans is a constant 12volts and modulated or a linear voltage that fluctuates from 0-12 volts? Does the 4 pin header on the h100 block only make it convenient to plug in a 4 pin pwm fan that in actuality is controlled by voltage 0-12 volts? Is the h100 fan controller capable of outputting a pwm signal?

I was just reading a review about the H100 and in the review he said "Here we have one of the fans. You get two of these, both 120mm and PWM based as stated." Maybe he got it wrong? Pretty good review here's a link, just came out a few days ago!

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h100-review/1

Wow, did that reviewer get it wrong. On page 4 of the review is a clear picture of the fan, which is clearly three pin with three wires.

A mother board may use a PWM-type control on their three pin fan headers, but that has nothing to do with the fan itself. Using the reviewer's "logic", all three pin fans would be PWM fans. Try connecting a three pin fan to a four pin PWM fan header, and see how it works.

Then on page 6, they have a picture of the H100's backplate on a board, and the backplate is not correctly positioned. The H100's backplate is shaped so it will fit around the two screws used on the CPU socket's backplate. They have it placed in the opposite direction, which can be clearly seen.

It seems the review, or parts of it, were written by a non-native English speaking person, which may account for the errors in the description of the fans. The testing section of the review seems very good from a technical standpoint.

Still, such basic errors IMO brings into question the competency of the review staff, and editor. This also gives us some insight into the things that manufactures must suffer with when their products are reviewed, such as the misinformation that they must deal with after the review is published.

Don't shoot the messager......lol

Now, when did I do that? :laughing:

I'm glad you pointed that out actually, IMO it was important to do so.

When (supposedly) professional PC hardware review sites make such obvious errors on very simple things, and it remains so after over two weeks of being published, there is a lesson it that for those of us that read these articles. We trust and believe these articles, and assume we do not need to double check what is published. Although this example should not taint every hardware review web site, it's something we should keep in mind.

I checked the forum on the web site that published that review, and found the thread about the review. While not a very long thread, not one mention of the mistakes in the review. And people make fun of Wikipedia... :ummmm:

Manufactures would not have missinformation in reviews if they truthfully and fully reveal the performance details of their products.

I certainly agree. Some things remain a mystery, such as the question you posted regarding the type of fan control used on a H100, and what the purpose of the four pin fan headers on the H100's fan controller are.

Regardless, the "information" about the H100 fan that was in that review was based apparently upon the author's inspection of the fan, which is what causes me to wonder about the qualifications of that person. Yes, detailed specs would have made a difference... I hope.

I 100% agree that guy had no business doing reviews, many review sites are ad full pages written by unqualified people. There is also pressure from manufactures, write a bad review and no more products from us to review also advertisement revenue could dry up. There is an information gap on many products, tough or impossible to get detailed info.

You answered a thread I started about lack of info on noiseblocker fans. That fan marketing group is no longer a mystery to me. I now have two of their top tier fans replacing the front 200mm fan on a 600t. With the 6 year warrenty and a u.s. warrenty replacement location I'll see how they last. Don't want to flame them but I have their patent with detailed drawings and it covers the frame noise dampening design , nothing high tech covering bearing design. Heard from a guy who really knows the in depth ins and outs of fans. Heck how secret and high tech can it be, it's a $25 consumer fan. Not produced in a hidden factory in the Black forest , I have a good idea what factory in china produces it. Haven't changed my opinion.

Archived