Corsair Community

Change out cooler from CWCH70 to CWCH80

Riftlake

My cooler died & I have been sent a replacement. I'm told it mounts different. I haven't removed the old one, but looking at it, it looks like the mount would fit. The problem I see right off though is the power plug on the old one is three wire into a single plug & the new one is three wire that splits into two plugs. I don't see where to plug it. What am I going to have to do to swap these out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "it looks like the mount would fit", but if you mean by it's general size and shape, then it likely will. If you mean the H80's pump can use the same mounting parts that the H70's does, no it can't, it is completely different.

The H80 should be easier to install than a H70, but if your case does not have an opening on the mother board tray that is large enough to let you put the H80's backplate in place, you'll need to take out the mother board.

If your PC with the H70 is not functioning/being used right now, if I were you I would completely remove the H70 from it, every last piece, you won't be using any of it. You could also find a four pin molex cable from your AX750's cable bag, which you may need for the H80's pump.

Connecting the H80's cables is not difficult. The three pin fan type connector still goes to the CPU fan header on your board, so you can check the pump's speed. The other cable and its connector attaches to a four pin molex connector and cable from your power supply. Connect the two fan cables to the fan controller on the H80 pump, and you're done. You'll probably spend more time routing the molex cable from the power supply to the H80s molex connector, than figuring out how to connect the cables.

Archived