Corsair Community

Adding 3rd Stick of 8GB DDR3 causes OS to slow to a crawl

DudeLaw

If I only install 2 8GB sticks, things work like a champ. As soon as I install a 3rd (or even a fourth), Windows 7 Ultimate x64 doesn't make it past the 'Starting Windows' screen.

the i7-2600K apparently only supports 1333MHz memory (I in advertently purchased 1600MHz), but I thought either the memory would down-clock, or the processor could be over-clocked to work.

At any rate, I'm at a loss as to how to diagnose and thus work towards resolving this issue. (I'm greedy and want all 32GB of RAM installed :laughing: )

I'm not sure what memory settings to use to manually down-clock the RAM to 1333MHz.

Any thoughts?

the i7-2600K apparently only supports 1333MHz memory (I in advertently purchased 1600MHz), but I thought either the memory would down-clock, or the processor could be over-clocked to work.

Yes this is true. BUT, you can easily run 1600mhz with a matched kit using the XMP profile. Some have even succesfully run 200mhz RAM with that processor.

I'm not sure what memory settings to use to manually down-clock the RAM to 1333MHz.

Run CPU-z and look at the SPD tab. That will show you the timings used for 1333mhz. However as Synthohol stated, the chances of you getting three non matched sticks to run together at any speed is pretty slim. Memory today is not like memory of past years when you could buy just about anything and get them to run together fine. It's extremely important to buy matched KITS now.

Well, I don't really want to be killing baby pandas...

The RAM I purchased is listed as compatible memory for my motherboard. I hear you folks on the matched KITS bit, however I cannot find a 32GB matched kit, dual channel DDR3 kit. As far as I can tell, this RAM is only sold as individual sticks; I guess I fell prey to advertising, '...break the 16GB barrier...' etc...

Anyone know if there is a way to get this RAM (or similar) as a matched kit so that I can get all 32GB?

CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 is available. But the price tag on 32 gig kits is outrageous right now. Although i do expect them to come down some once the availability of the chips becomes more widespread.

There are other brands available too but the prices are near identical except for a budget set that i found that were still 700$

I understand the outrageous price tag...the four sticks I have cost me about $1,000. (as you can image, I'm not too impressed I can only use 1/2 of them).

"Quad channel" is throwing me for a loop...is that compatible with dual channel? I ran across info which indicated 'quad channel' was some new up and coming thing, but some RAM mfg's also 'test' their 'quad channel' in 'dual channel' environments. However, I could not find any info indicating such ram would be supported in my motherboard.

Corsair doesn't list CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 as being compatible (I supposed there's a chance that it's just too new and the documentation isn't updated, yet?) [i'm not really looking forward to blowing another $1,000 without knowing whether it will work]

Thoughts?

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple / Quad Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple or quad channel.

Regarding the CPU-Z SPD tab, I can't make sense of half the timings (I was going to try and set the RAM for 1333MHz). Reference the attachments. This being dual channel if I doulbe the JEDEC timings I arrive at 1120MHz, 1440MHz, 1600MHz, and 1600MHz (XMP).

Unrgh, 1120? 1440? What is that?

From this info, any idea on how I might configure my BIOS to run 1333?

BIOS only supports the following memory multipliers:

16: DDR3-2133

14: DDR3-1867

12: DDR3-1600

10: DDR3-1333

8: DDR3-1067

SPD.jpg.39644725c9bc32609e309e7e3cb22ca1.jpg

Memory.jpg.2d4c4a4a40f0979a3d6256397e2a7c44.jpg

CPU.jpg.11d71999e0606674cd6614951e03469f.jpg

• Corsair Employees
From what you have posted the memory is running at DDR1600 Cas 10 so they should be good to go. I would check for the latest MB BIOS then update it and load setup defaults and enable XMP profile one should be all you have to do!

Unfortunately they are not good to go (hence this whole post). I do have the latest MB BIOS and I was using the XMP profile. No go.

Per the guidance I received here I had ordered a 4 stick KIT of RAM (I would like to do my part in stopping baby panda slaughtering). As I waited for the kit to show up, other research indicated that some MBs that advertise an overclocked memory speed might not be able to attain that advertised speed with all DIMMs filled (maxed) and that lowering the speed might be an alternative.

Since 1600MHz is considered over-clocked from the SandyBridge CPU perspective, I figured it should be possible to configure the RAM to run at 1333MHz. Guidance here pointed me to CPU-Z's SPD tab from which to grab the timings from. However, as I noted, the information presented therein seems not to make sense.

I shared that info with some folks more technical than me and they too were a bit baffled. Still am wondering if anyone out there could shed light on an 1120MHz or a 1440MHz speed. (The going rationale is that an intern was assigned the programming task that day--and I gots screwed by the intern; I'm hoping it was at least a she, even better if she was hot)

The kit did arrive last night; I popped them in and it ran like a champ. The BIOS defaulted to 1333MHz; I went in and chose the XMP profile for 1600MHz and it's still running like a champ. For kicks I looked at the SPD tab in CPU-Z and the timings reported make absolute sense.

Hence, I'll be returning the other modules.

Archived