Corsair Community

Amperage of AX1200 Molex

Ascendic

Ok thats what I was looking for. So now what doesn't make sense is how this fan controller can have 60W x 5 channels, thats 300W at 12V which is 25 amps powered by a single 4-pin molex connector.

Yes, that doesn't work out at all. I would guess that while one channel can handle 60 Watts or 5 Amps individually, there is no chance of loading all the channels at 60 Watts, since you can't get that much power to it. I did read that the 12V pin on a molex connector can provide 13 Amps, but did not find a second source to verify that.

An eight pin EPS mother board cable can provide 28 Amps, and six or eight pin PCI-E power cables can provide from 16 to 24 Amps.

Yes, that doesn't work out at all. I would guess that while one channel can handle 60 Watts or 5 Amps individually, there is no chance of loading all the channels at 60 Watts, since you can't get that much power to it. I did read that the 12V pin on a molex connector can provide 13 Amps, but did not find a second source to verify that.

An eight pin EPS mother board cable can provide 28 Amps, and six or eight pin PCI-E power cables can provide from 16 to 24 Amps.

Well all i really need is 20 amps. I read that the cables themselves can handle more power and are actually limited by the connector, if that is the case then I guess using a PCI-E cable with a molex adapter would pretty much do nothing?

Yes, it is the connector that is the limitation, not the cable. A 18 gauge wire used for each lead on an AC power cable, is good for over 500 Watts on electric devices. That is likely the same gauge wire in the molex connector cable.

You could use a molex cable from your PS and using the connector or a bare wire, solder it in place.

Yes, it is the connector that is the limitation, not the cable. A 18 gauge wire used for each lead on an AC power cable, is good for over 500 Watts on electric devices. That is likely the same gauge wire in the molex connector cable.

You could use a molex cable from your PS and using the connector or a bare wire, solder it in place.

This is an idea. There is a connector on the controller as well that i might have to remove somehow. It just seems so ridiculous to have a cable that can run like 40A but limited to 11-12 by a connector.

There is actually one issue that take precedence over all others.

Due to safety concerns, there is a safety spec where no 12V rail must exceed 240 Watts (VA), or 20 amps. That spec is obviously ignored these days with 40 to 100A single rail power supplies. To compensate for this, other techniques are used to provide protection.

Actually, in my earlier post, I was misleading about the 18 gauge wire used on a 120V circuit. They are limited to 10 Amps, and while that does produce over 1000 Watts capability, the amperage limit is the major concern.

For example, an eight pin EPS power cable for a mother board has four wires (and four ground wires) each spec'd at 7 amps, for 28 amps total. Why not use two wires, or one?

The answer is if there is a short circuit on a wire, with a PS that can deliver high amperage, the heat in the wire could cause a fire. Increasing the size of the wire only allows it to pass more current, making things worse. Making the connectors more robust again would allow more current to flow. So split the higher current between multiple medium capacity cable/connectors, and all is well. Except when you need more from one of those wires.

Archived