Corsair Community

h100 controller issue

lukaz

Hello

I have set up my h100 in push pull with the extra fans being 2000rpm fans. My plan was to put all 4 into the pump and leave it on the middle setting. However when doing this the fans start/stop. if I plug the 2 extra into the motherboard they run at 2000rpm, so they are not faulty.

Also when changing the profile on the h100, the cpu fan speed is still monitored as 2000rpm. I can't hear a difference between any setting, leaving me to believe its not working.

I do not have a product from the faulty lot (my lot is 11289403).

Please advise me on how to proceed?

I have set up my h100 in push pull with the extra fans being 2000rpm fans. My plan was to put all 4 into the pump and leave it on the middle setting. However when doing this the fans start/stop. if I plug the 2 extra into the motherboard they run at 2000rpm, so they are not faulty

Depends on what fans you are using. There are a bunch of posts about the use of different fans with the h-100 and the results are quite mixed. Different fans have different "start up " voltages and do not play well with the h-100 controller.

If you use JUST the fans that came with it, do you hear the fans speed change when you change profiles?

The speed you are seeing for CPU Fan is actually the speed of the H100's pump, which should be ~2000 RPM. That is the purpose of the three pin fan connector from the pump, as well as to stop CPU fan speed warnings from the BIOS if nothing was connected to the CPU fan header. The pump's speed does not change with each profile, it's speed is constant at ~2000 RPM. It is a coincidence that your other fans run at 2000 RPM.

When using the Corsair fan speed controller, you cannot monitor the fan's speeds with anything, since they are not connected to the mother board in any way.

As Peanutz said, fans that have different operational characteristics than those of the Corsair fans will cause unpredictable results when used on the H100's fan controller. It's software is tuned to the characteristics of the Corsair fans, which makes sense, but can be frustrating when used with other fans.

May I ask what other fans you are using?

The only variables of using different fans will be fan speed, volume of air moved and noise...and of course...temps. PWM fans like the Cougars are operating well beyond my expectations. They react to voltage changes in a predictable manner. I prefer optimizing the equipment to operate as quietly as possible even though my tower is actually not in the same room as my keyboard & monitor.

Ok, I understand about the monitoring, thankyou for that.

I will try running only the corsair fans to see if profile change works (can't get to it right now). The other fans are Coolermaster R4-L2R-20CK-GP.

*edit

Did a quick check, can't tell from noise if profiles are working. it all sounds the same to me... so I will run a prime test tonight to get conclusive results.

The only variables of using different fans will be fan speed, volume of air moved and noise...and of course...temps. PWM fans like the Cougars are operating well beyond my expectations.

As far as cooling goes yes! But we have seen certain fans that just dont like the fan controller on the h-80-100's. because of the difference in the amount of voltage required to start the fans spinning. I believe the CM's were one of them.

I'll see if i can dig that thread up for later

Ok so I ran a prime test and am satisfied the controller is working, since the temps were lower on high setting. I couldnt find further info on the CM fans being underpowered by h100 but it sounds logical so im going to believe it.

The reason I couldnt hear the difference was in the end due to pump noise.

I read another thread about the pump noise and so put my case on its side, and a great deal of noise went away (and I mean a great deal) .Im going to take the advice given there and leave it on its side for a day to see if that clears the air bubbles permanently (they seem to come back when upright). Its really a very nast sound, but I live in Australia so RMA is a big hassle...if the noise returns, I will have to RMA it.

*edit

The noise returns with case upright. Ive posted about it in the apprioate thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=536767&posted=1#post536767

lukaz, Just out of curiosity, where is your radiator mounted relative to the pump, above it, below, same level? I'm not implying that will make a difference, but I've been skeptical about this air bubble thing for a while now. My theory is its a mechanical vibration and noise that changes depending upon the orientation of the pump, as in level vs on it's side.

If the noise was caused by bubbles, then why would the noise occur instantly when moving the PC from its side to the normal position, which seems to be the case. Just an idea which may be completely wrong.

The radiator is mounted above the pump (on the top of a HAF 932). the tubes come out of the rear side of raditor, and bottom of pump. (so the pump power outlets are facing the front of the case). After looking for a picture to show you, it seems everyone has it a further 90 degrees counter clockwise. I'm going to experiment with that when I get home, unless someone can say it definitely won't make a difference?

Archived