Corsair Community

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe + Corsair CMX512-3200C2 problems

Cooler1978

I just built up a new computer with the following specs: [B]CPU:[/B] AMD Athlon XP3200+ [B]Motherboard:[/B] Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe (BIOS REV 1011) [B]Videocard:[/B] ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360) [B]RAM:[/B] Corsair CMX512-3200C2 (Timings 3-3-3-8) [B]Harddisc:[/B] SAMSUNG SP1614N (160 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133) [B]DVD:[/B] JLMS XJ-HD166S (16x/48x DVD-ROM) [B]DVD:[/B] TEAC DV-W58G [B]Power supply:[/B] Levicom SPS-380XAS-F (380 Watt) Since the beginning I have instability problems. During games the computer suddenly reboots. I also had this problem a few times running other applications in Windows e.g. when I converted a big movie-file. When the computer is restarted I get error messages like this: BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000 BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1 BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : BFA05044 BCP3 : A665697C BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1 The CPU is not overclocked, I have installed all updates and the latest BIOS, and the temperatures shouldn’t be the problem either (Motherboard: 32 °C, CPU: 58 °C, Videocard: 35 °C) So I think the reason for the instability is my RAM??? Getting so frustrated here any help would be greatly appreciated...

The problem may well be that you do not have the most recent bios. Asus just posted a more recent bios for this board. I know this because I too was having problems in games with this board and this bios update fixed the problem. Go to the Asus website and the new bios will be listed.

im having the exact same problem hes having. same board with an xp3000 chip. but i have the same memory as well. the xms pc3200 LL memory and it just reboots or gose back to windows during game play. though i have not downloaded the 1011 drivers yet.. any more sigestions would be good? i have know idea whats going on..

• Corsair Employees
Please see this post on [URL=http://www.asusforums.org/showthread.php?t=530&page=5&pp=15]ASUSForums.org[/URL] and read the second to last post. In addition after you flash the bios I would load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts a then set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 as well. But this MB may not run as well as the Non -E version of the MB has run! However, with relaxed timings it does seem to over clock well!

Don't believe Wired, he has not bothered to look at the Asus site. There is a more recent bios. I know I have suffered with this problem for a month, but the new bios, new corsair memory and the proper settings as described by the Ram Guy above solved the problem. Check for yourself.

• Corsair Employees
There was a bios version 1.011 released at the end of June, but the latest bios Version also listed as version 1.011 was dated 7-6-2004 and is the one you should use, as with the Admin at that forum I gave you, I duplicated the same results here. And it sounds like a few others have also seen that this bios [URL=ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-e/C18E1011.zip]Ver 1.011 C18E1011.zip[/URL] has solved the issues my self and other's have seen with this MB! I hope that is clear for everyone!

[quote name='reesecup']Don't believe Wired, he has not bothered to look at the Asus site. There is a more recent bios. I know I have suffered with this problem for a month, but the new bios, new corsair memory and the proper settings as described by the Ram Guy above solved the problem. Check for yourself.[/QUOTE] Actually reesecup, I did. Looks like version 1.011 to me. Also, on their site they only have 1 version of the 1.011 BIOS listed. If he had the earlier version of this BIOS that Ram Guy speaks of, there is no way to tell this based upon Cooler1978's post, as all it says is BIOS version 1.011, and not a date. [url]http://usa.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X-E%20Deluxe[/url] FileName C18E1011.zip Version 1011 Date 2004/06/07 Description A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS 1011 More... File Size 396.25 (KBytes)

• Corsair Employees
That is why I tried to make this very clear for everyone! And I don’t think he meant that in a bad way Wired just trying point out what he and I both found with this MB! If you did not have the MB and did not go to the FTP site several times over the last few weeks you would not know anything about it! So I think everything is cleared up, and bottom line if you updated the bios, just check the file name of the bios you downloaded and make sure its the one suggested above!

[quote name='RAM GUY']If you did not have the MB and did not go to the FTP site several times over the last few weeks you would not know anything about it![/QUOTE] Exactamundo. Just wanted to clarify that I did go to the site and posted what I did based upon what I saw, and that based on the original post of Cooler1978 that it is impossible to ascertain one way or another which version of the 1.011 BIOS he has.

I did not mean to offend you Wired, I just wanted him to be sure he had the latest bios. I went through h--l trying to figure out what was wrong with my computer. In fact I spoke with Asus late last week who didn't bother to tell me a more recent bios was available. It fixed my problem with this board and I hope it helps others.

No worries man! It's just that when someone says I don't do my research, it's time to pull out the pre-plan and slap it down! :) I'm a freakin' research nut at times, so when I read your post, I started cracking up :) It's all good, we're all here to help each other out. On a side note, got any extra peanut butter cups laying around? :laughing:

I updated the BIOS to the latest version, but my computer is instable and keeps on rebooting in games. So i ran some test, with these results: [B] PRIME95 - torture test[/B] a. Small FFts (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much) : I ran this test for about 7 hours and it passed all tests b. Blend (tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested) : "FATAL ERROR: Resulting sum was 2722476... expected: 2722493... . Hardware failure detected. Torture test ran 2 minutes - 1errors, 0 warnings" [B] Memtest86 (timings 2,5-3-3-6)[/B] After 4 test passes: 1150 errors in test 5, and 9 errors in test 6. So causes the RAM-module the instability issus, because it is bad????

• Corsair Employees
Cooler1978 I am sorry that did not work for you, but to find the cause of the problem! Please try these steps! Please unplug the power and remove the CMOS battery and then clear the bios with the CLRTC jumper for about 30 seconds! Then put it back together and load setup defaults first thing! Then set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing! In addition, when I saw that there was some having trouble with this MB and Video card combo I bought one! I have found that with this video card you should set the AGP voltage to 1.6 Volts as well or you might get random errors in memtest! If this does not solve the problem then please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace the modules!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Cooler1978 Please unplug the power and remove the CMOS battery and then clear the bios with the CLRTC jumper for about 30 seconds! Then put it back together and load setup defaults first thing! Then set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-6 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest.org[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing! [/QUOTE] Last two questions @ RAM GUY [B]1.[/B] I follow your instructions, but I still got the same problem. :[pouts: I ran MemTest (2,5-3-3-6) and there were found 7215 errors in test 5 and 3 errors in test 6 (with four passes). When I ran MemTest with 3-3-3-8 timings no errors were found. Now I was wondering how that could be? [B]2.[/B] Also, can you tell me how the RMA system runs in Europe, please? Living in Germany means that sending a stick of RAM to the USA is going to be expensive!

[quote name='Cooler1978']Also, can you tell me how the RMA system runs in Europe, please? Living in Germany means that sending a stick of RAM to the USA is going to be expensive![/QUOTE] Most overseas resellers handle their own RMAs, so I'd talk to them first as they may do it for free (or a lower cost than shipping).

Archived