Corsair Community

Building a Corsair Obsidian 800D (Newbie)

Hey everyone,

Basically I am thinking about building a new rig that is water-cooled. It will be my first major build and I'm really excited for it. I have looked over a majority of the possibilities of how I am going to build this machine and was wondering if someone could lend their expert advice on compatibility, price etc etc. I have 2 1080p Monitors, and I am looking for a rig around $1700-2300 USD. I'm also looking to make it quiet, but still have the ability to have great graphics for gaming.

These are the choice I have decided on, any criticism would be appreciated.

Corsair CC800DW Obsidian 800D --$263.99

Corsair HX Professional Series 850-Watt 80 Plus Certified -- $180.66

Corsair Dominator 12 GB 1600 MHz PC3-12800 240-Pin DDR3 -- $154.99

Intel Core i7-960 Processor 3.20 GHz 8 MB Cache Socket LGA136 -- $294.99

EVGA P67 FTW 160-SB-E679-K2 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard -- $269.99

Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid-State Drive -- $204.99

Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive -- $103.98

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 PCI -- $349.99 x2

Thanks to everyone that posts in advance, I will be checking the forums whenever I'm not studying for Ap Bio and Calc :P

Well first thing I see is that the processor and motherboard are not the same socket type. For a i7-960 socket 1366 you will want a x58 chipset motherboard. If you are more set on the motherboard with the P67 chipset and socket 1155 then you should look at the 2nd-gen i7. i7-2600K being the fastest and best for OC'ing. Another thing this will affect is your memory choices. If you stick wth the i7-960 then you will want to get a triple-channel memory kit since the 1366 socket and x58 suppport triple channel DDR3. If you go with the P67 and the i7-2600K, then you will want to look at dual channel DDR3 kits. The other parts should work fine together.

GL with your first build. Don't hesitate to ask for more help if you need it. Better to make sure then to guess when working with high dollar parts

Good times.

Alright thanks a bunch for helping me out, now I wasn't set on the Mobo because I wasn't sure about compatibility. I think I would like the best for OC'ing, so I'll probably go with an Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz Processor like you suggested.

Also does anyone have any pro/cons over the motherboard I chose. To be brutally honest I am slightly uneducated over what things I should be looking for in a good quality motherboard. Also any more tips on what you guys would do in my shoes would be awesome and well appreciated.

EVGA P67 FTW is a great board. If you like it there is no reason not to get it. If you are going to OC you need to look into a good heatsink for you CPU. Corsair makes the closed loop liquid cooled systems that are very easy to install and give you performance somewhat close to a custom loop. Otherwise you should be looking into a high-end air cooled heatsink.

Yeah I was actually looking in to the Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling, but it doesn't give me the nerd feeling because I can't boast about a true water cooled system :P Thanks for the feedback on the motherboard though, I will probably go with the EVGA P67 FTW now.

Thanks for the feedback. Going to order these parts. :)

Archived