Corsair Community

Start AX750 psu without MB

fifo

I have a AX 750 PSU and i want to power it without a motherboard, it will be powering a small LCD display and a small fan the speed of which is controlled by the LCD so sometimes the fan could be off and just the LCD will be powered.

First of all can this psu be power with zero load

Is zero load harm full to the psu

secondly do you have a connector or something that i can connect the 24 pin motherboard power connector to power up the psu without the MB

I wont a safe method of turning the PSU on as i don't want to short the power supply or damage it by connecting two pins together to turn on the psu.

First of all can this psu be power with zero load

Is zero load harm full to the psu

No, the PSU will not power up without a load on it. Most use a case fan and or a HD to put a load on it to run functionality test when troubleshooting problems.

secondly do you have a connector or something that i can connect the 24 pin motherboard power connector to power up the psu without the MB

Sorry there is no connector that i'm aware of. You can either splice the wires together on the 24 pin connector to get the unit to power on. You can find out which ones to tie together here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991. OR,You may be able to make your own using a standard female 24 pin connector so you dont have to cut/splice any wires. (which would void any warranty i might add) They are available at http://www.frozencpu.com for just about 2 bucks for the connector and another 2 bucks for the pins needed in the connector

After that you should be able to use the switch on the back of the PSU to turn it on and off safely.

The specs of the psu on the corsair website say Minimum load 0A which indicates that it can power up without a loud or is that a red herring?

I'm assuming the connection of the 2 pins on the 24 pin molex only has to be made once to turn the psu on and once to turn the psu off. Is this right?

I'm assuming the connection of the 2 pins on the 24 pin molex only has to be made once to turn the psu on and once to turn the psu off. Is this right?

Not necessarily. You could make the connection once and then just use the rocker switch on the back of the PSU to power on/off

Archived