Corsair Community

Is This a SSD Problem?

Hipster Doofus

Just sorted my new two Force 3 120gb drives into raid0. Windows 7 x64.

Previously had them as slaves using the marvell controller. Worked OK except for the speed.

Now I have the SSDs installed as raid0 & have windows installed onto them using SATA3. Speed is now what is excpected.

My problem now is that explorer.exe stops working. Could be at ant time. Seems to happen when idle or exiting a game.

When idle I cannot open task manager or do anything else. If task manager is already open it becomes unresponsive. The computer will not shut down, just sits there with the mouse pointer spinning. Reset is the only option.

When exiting a game the screen goes black & again the only way out is a reset.

Do you think it is the SSDs? Firmware is 1.3.

Right now I am going to disable my startup programs & see how it goes.

Spoke too soon. Happened again 20 minutes after posting the above.

Playing a full screen game, exited out of it & got a black screen with the game mouse showing. Was able to get to task manager & shut down. The system hung at the shutdown screen & I had to reset again.

Does this sound like an issue with the SSDs that others are having?

OK. It's happening right now as I type. The desktop is frozen. When I go to the task bar the mouse goes "busy" making circles. When I click 'start' I get this: "Windows explorer is not responding".

"Description:

A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: explorer.exe

Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567

Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4

Hang Signature: 4bf9

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 4bf918eb3207b73c97efd745099b2e33

Additional Hang Signature 2: 11a5

Additional Hang Signature 3: 11a5fa20db38d61a80b98ba71a455e5f

Additional Hang Signature 4: 4bf9

Additional Hang Signature 5: 4bf918eb3207b73c97efd745099b2e33

Additional Hang Signature 6: 11a5

Additional Hang Signature 7: 11a5fa20db38d61a80b98ba71a455e5f"

Any clue in all of that?

Task manager which was open is now not responding.

I clicked 'check for a solution' & it keeps on searching.

UPDATE: As I was typing the above the system froze & I had to power down manually. Thankfully firefox saved what I was writing.

Hey Toasted I have raid set up. So I'll have to unplug the SSDs, load windows to a different drive set on AHCI, plug the SSDs back in. Get back to windows on the other drive & update firmware. From there, set the system back to raid, unplug the other drive & start up.

Will that work or will I have to format the SSDs & start again?

You can plug them in a different PC with AHCI enabled then boot to Windows and update the firmware. After updating the Firmware i recommend you secure erase the SSDs.

Or the method you posted will work.

Install a non-activated Windows (so you don't use up your tokens) on a different drive with AHCI enabled. Plug the SSDs in and update the firmware then secure erase both SSDs and then re-install a activated version of Windows.

Note: Secure erasing the SSDs will permanently delete all data.

Note: Secure erasing the SSDs will disconnect your RAID configuration.

I bloody give up. A fresh install this morning, gets corrupted after a couple of hours.

Try again. This time I loaded my intel driver, rebooted. The graphics card, rebooted then corrupted.

These damn drives arn't even good enough for a door stop.

I 've just loaded again, done nothing, added nothing & I'm scared to turn if off because it will end up not booting.

I'm getting all the files off the raptors at the moment so I can install windows back onto them. Might phone the place where I got them & try & get my money back.

Archived