Corsair Community

Odd Problem

SLUSHIE

A friend of mine gave me some of his old memory. He said that his motherboard had a problem and he could only use 3 sticks at a time. At one point he was able to run all 4 at once then it stopped working.

The sticks are Corsair PC2-8500 C5 Dominator. 2x2gb and 2x1gb, exact same specs other than size. 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 2.1V

In my PC i can use either pair in either set of slots on their own, but I cant use both pairs at the same time in either combination, or a pair and one of the other sticks. My PC simple wont show video or post.

In the bios i noticed that it was setting the voltage to 1.8V automatically, so I changed it so its 2.1V. I then tested all 4 again, and it now shows the motherboards start-up image deal that shows instead of post, but its frozen and I can't press any keys or anything. I had also switched the slots that I had been testing the pairs in, so it could possible have something to do with that as well.

But like I said there is nothing wrong with either set of slots or either pair of memory on their own. What could the problem be?

I tried lowering the timing as well and it still didn't work.

What I tried just now and is working with no problems, is I'm using the 2gig sticks, and I put in 2 of my old 1gig sticks that are 4-4-4-12 800Mhz.

So I set the memory to 800MHz at 5-5-5-15 and it's working with no issues. I don't freakin' understand this.

What do you mean mixing.

4 sticks, all 5-5-5-15 1066MHz 2.1V

2x2gb 2x1gb.

All four sticks did not come out of one single tested package. When you use more than one set at a time there is a very high likelihood of them not running at rated specs if even at all. Sometimes underclocking them allows them to play nice enough together they will work. But often this is NOT the case

Archived