Corsair Community

CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 & Asus P6T

Sefier

So I recently decided to upgrade my PC. I ended up purchasing 2 sets of CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 along with some other things. When I first popped them in with the BIOS ram setting on auto it was only detecting 8192MB of RAM, odd... so I proceeded to modify the voltage, MHz, and timing manually to the appropriate settings as seen on the sticks themselves. After a restart I was seeing the full 12GB of RAM for a while.

I thought I was good to go until a recent boot-up when It randomly stopped detecting all 12GB of RAM. I changed none of the BIOS settings, but now it's showing up as 8192MB of RAM again. I attempted changing the ram voltage according to the sticker for the 1600 profile, then enabling the X.M.P. profile, no dice. Still shows up as 8192MB of RAM.

I understand that this seems to be an adventure getting these pieces of hardware to work together properly, but if anyone could lend me some of their knowledge it would be much appreciated. Memory configuration and overclocking aren't exactly my strong suit.

I am sure this is a BIOS configuration issue, but I do not know the proper configuration up and down the board to make this hardware work together correctly.

• Corsair Employees
Mixing sets can be hit and miss and its not officially supported but I would make sure that you are not mixing them. IE one matching set in slots A1, B1. and C1 and the other matching set in the last three slots. Then please go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP Profile one and set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and see if its more stable

So after some more troubleshooting I believe that my MOBOs c1 & c2 slots are fried. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the ram itself considering it is all the exact same type and I can mix and match it in any way. As I put them in individually and no matter what combination I put them in the BIOS will only ever recognize 8GB at the most. Is there anything else that I am overlooking? The MOBO is about 2 years old now so I may be out of luck when it comes to RMAing it.

did you have all ram slots filled before?

for me, my board was only detecting 8 of 12gb at all times. it turns out I had left a stand underneath the motherboard that was shorting out a ram slot.

if you want to verify this, you unforunately have to take the mobo out of the case, take it off the stands, put it on a desk/cardboard box or whatever, and run just the CPU, RAM, and video card. check your bios there and see if it's all 12 slots.

it you still can't see all 12 after doing that... well I don't have any advice for you other than good luck!

You can also pull the CPU out and look at the pins in the socket. Bent pins will also cause this. thats happened quite a few times here too!.

I'm not sure about your individual MB but my P6x58d-premium has 3 yrs warranty on it. So you may be safe.

I really hate to say this but like RG stated mixing memory is probably going to be your issue. Even two kits of the EXACT same part number have a very high chance of not working together, if they do it's will be at a reduced speed.

It did see 12GB for a short period of time. Then after a restart it went to 8GB. I doubt it's the cpu because I've had ram in those slots and it worked before, and I kept mixing and matching the sticks in every way possible. All the sticks are recognized in any order within the first 4 slots, but the last 2 wont recognize anything no matter what combination I put in.

Archived