Corsair Community

1.66 voltage in the Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz CL8 makes a diffrence in Rage!

London Beat

So I have my Core I7 920 @3200mhz with my memory CORSAIR Dominator 3X2GB DDR3 1600MHz CL8 TR3X6G1600C8D(xmp)Ver 2.1 at 1282 with a voltage 1.62 and I was playing Rage with a few texture popping like this but not nearly as much
so I decided to put the Dominator´s at 1600 and at 1.64 voltage but the popping got a lot worse so i put the memory voltage at 1.66 and no more popping, My mobo is a Asus P6T and does not let me put the mem voltage at 1.65 I know that lots of people say that is no problem like this and others that´s no problem to use at standard 1.66 beside Intel warnings and I was sure both were right but now I will leave the voltage at 1.66 all the time. In fact I now remember that a few games now on then did this texture popping especially with changing the weapons maybe must been when I had the voltage at 1.64.

I already tried that and the result was the same as with the CPU OC and the Dominators at 1600 1.66 although a tad slower

So I have my Core I7 920 @3200mhz with my memory CORSAIR Dominator so I decided to put the Dominator´s at 1600 and at 1.64 voltage but the popping got a lot worse so i put the memory voltage at 1.66 and no more popping,

:confused:

"I already tried that and the result was the same as with the CPU OC and the Dominators at 1600 1.66 although a tad slower" but the texture popping was minimal like I said " a few texture popping like this but not nearly as much

"

I played Rage since day one with the patch but for me the real problem that i experience was the low res textures that was not fixed with the patch and only with a mega pack of high res textures which ID already considered and is a possibility in the future. The new texture option that appears in the Video options resolves just a part of this problem I read that the ID tech 5 engine was made to run more easy for the developers in the 3 platforms (PC e consoles) and that the load of the textures was most dependent of the memory and that end up influencing the low res textures being in the PC version

"Carmack also stressed a number of times that the PC version would possibly get a "super quality texture pack" to improve low-resolution textures that Rage suffers at the shipping dataset which is identical to console counterparts. He admitted that artists were sad because a combination of multiple professional compression solutions were necessary in order to fit the internal build, which was approximately 150 GB :evil::eek:, to a shippable product of 25 GB, on three dual-layer DVDs or one single-layer BD."

Since 2 years ago that before I play a game I always look before for tweaks and with Rage with so much buzz about problems it was the same I spend more then 5 hours reading tweaks and other stuff and always came to a conclusion for all games that what really matters is FOV (but I am concluding also that much of the time I revertet to the game standart because i found more distracting the bottle effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AP8XLeRkI ) and mouse smoothing it´s true that with Rage was fundamental before the patch to apply the tweaks from Nvidia himself to enable the partial high res textures and GPU transcoding to run the game smooth with this textures but this was an exception I also found that the games now a days like Rage adapts to the hardware as one plays and about one hour later everything is most of the time fine in Rage I got a ribbon of tearing all the time in the first 40 minutes even with the V-Sync on then suddenly there was nothing more until the end of the game! Similar stuff happened with Stalker SOC The only problem left with Rage was low FPS sometimes but nothing very severe so after 2 hours I put anti aliasing at 8 from 16, low anisotropic filter and smart V-Sync and played to the end very well without a crash or nothing.

Archived