Corsair Community

Vengeance LP: 1 kit 4x4GB or 2 kits 2x4GB

mgr

Hi guys, I plan to buy 16GB of ram for my SB platform. It would be awesome to have two pairs of Corsair Vengance LP with different colors, so that they match the colors of Asus P8P67 ram slots. Are there any possible problems connected with buying two 2x4GB kits instead of just one kit w 4x4GB modules? There is this urban legend telling that you should always use memories from just one kit, cause they are "matched". How much truth is really there?

Theres a lot of truth to it. Just look through the forums here and you'll find 100's of posts of other who have mixed kits and have nothing but problems. If you can live with out the different colors i would stick with a matched kit.

Ok what exactly do we mean by "matched"?

All modules that come in one single pack will be matched. Meaning they will run as close to the same as possible across all modules in that package. If you have two packages and one set of those runs just a little different than the other it will throw the rest of them off.

Usually the result is having to run them at less than rated speeds if they will run at all. Corsair does not support or suggest "mixing" memory this way either. So if you do buy two sets then you loose the guarantee that they will run at rated speeds. One kit per MB is what is supported.

Buying 1 4x4 kit would be supported and the modules would be guaranteed to run at rated speeds too.

Archived