Corsair Community

H100 screw holes on radiator too tight.

phatDUB

I assume you mean the screws used to attach the fans? A new radiator might have a little extra black paint in the screw holes, that will wear off if you screw in and remove the screws a few times. You must use the supplied screws or ones with the correct threads, 6-32 threads, not metric sized screws.

With the fans removed, carefully screw in and out the screws a few times, and blow or clean off any loose paint, and wipe off the screws threads. Try this before returning it, a new one will likely be the same, unless you are very sure there is a defect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just run into the exact same problem on mine. Don't want to screw them in and cross thread anything. I looked at that blog post and it says screw in with your fingers, yeah right. lol

If anyone can tell me the thread size I'll clean out the threads with a tap first. They looik like M3's to me but I can't check right now.

6-32 didn't mean an awful lot to a Brit like me m8. Had to go look it up and found out it's UNC and that's not a common thread over here in the UK. We mainly use metric or Whitworth.

I've found only one place where I can get some and it's a £3 minimum order + P&P. Would it really kill Corsair to include another set of screws with the kit as stock?

TLH,

The screws to mount my H80's fans and radiator were the same the first time I installed them as well, and were indeed VERY very tight. Simply follow Parsecs advise however.

You won't be able to screw the fans to your radiator with your fingers.

The instructions to only finger tighten is for the "Thumb screws" that tighten down your CPU's Water Block. To mount the fans to the radiators, the threads are indeed very tight and you'll need a screw driver, but the supplied screws are the correct size.

Simply screw them in, and tighten then up a few turns with a screw driver whilst the radiator is sat on your worktop.....

...Unscrew them again. Then when you come to installing the radiator and fans to the chassis, the screws will turn in far more easily.

I wouldn't start tapping and die'ing your screws and holes in all honesty, as you may cause adverse issues.

All the best m8,

Wolfy.

FYI Wolf, I was going to post the same thing you did, but then I checked the h100 installation blog, and it does suggest for ease of installation to insert two of the fan screws at first and tighten the screws by hand.

But not a big deal at all, and your suggestions for testing the fan screws fit in the radiator are exactly what I did in the past.

That's exactly what I've already done lads thanks. I used a couple of the shorter screws to clean out the threads as I only needed the long ones for install. It did knock the top of the threads off the screws but not too badly.

Sounds good TLH. In the USA we have a mix of metric and "english" standards parts, which is a bit of a pain. It surprises me that many PC hardware manufactures, particularly those based in Asia, still use non-metric parts. Most people in the US don't deal with finding specific fasteners, so it's not an issue when some metric ones are used. Actually, all cars have used them for years.

I'm tempted to start a business selling these screws on eBay, since I can get them here for... never mind... ::pirate::

I assumed that in the UK, "english" standard screws would be available, but that is clearly wrong. :confused:

Glad ya sorted TLH :). All the best with your new Corsair kit.

-----

LOL Parsec,

Agreed m8 lol, in a perfect world we'd have just the one measurement type.

But, here in the U.K., "old schooler's" still like their damned "Imperial" measurements over "Metric", that can at times cause great confusion and problems!!!!!

Ideally everyone would use MM's, CM's, M's, and KM's, but some just won't let go of their precious Inches, Feet, and Yards, AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH lol.

It used to play merry hell on operations when I was in the military too lol.

One day perhaps we'll have a universal measurement that all adhere to :).

Archived