Corsair Community

TX650W V2, EATX 12V confusion

LoganM

Hi, perhaps this is a none issue but I've never used a Corsair PSU before. I'm using an Asus P8Z68-V XL mobo and this is a new build. The psu is a Corsair TX650 v2.

The Asus has an 8pin EATX12V socket and the TX650 (the split 8pin cable for compatability with 4 pin ATX setups) fits in but the socket on the left hand side of the mobo has different shaped female sockets from the male pins on the PSU cable. The right hand side is the same with the pins and sockets being 2 completely square ones and two with two corners at 45 degrees, but the cable from the TX650 has four pins with 45degree corners on the left hand side of the cable and the socket on the mobo has two square sockets and two with the 45 degee corners.

The cable fits in the socket and locks nicely, but I'm leery of powering it up until I satisfy this small doubt I have, can anyone ease my mind, about the compatabilty of this psu with this mobo. Asus doesn't seem to be able to answer the question, so hopefully someone here has the answer. Take care, and thanks in advance. Logan

Peanutz is right about that connector. It only supplies 12V, so there is nothing to get mixed up. One row has the +12V connections, the other row the grounds. The eight pin connector allows more power (Watts) to be provided to the board.

But, some mother boards with eight pin connectors may connect one or more pins to different areas or parts on the board, rather than all of them being shared. That is why if your board has the eight pin connector, it may not boot unless power is supplied to all the pins.

Archived