Corsair Community

Stick to air or get a H80 ?

OFarrell86

Id really love to get an H80 but as ive looked on youtube and various review sites alls that comes up is "listen to the clicking sound", "air bubble", "bits falling off" etc...

Has there been a product update or is the stock in the shops all old stock that people are having problems with ?

For some reason "Bits falling off" made me laugh :laughing:

Some folks just aren't mechanically inclined and fail at simple tasks then blame the manufacturer.

Take your time and do it right, you won't be disappointed. Although the instruction are horrible, use common sense. H series coolers are decent products .

Cheers

Id really love to get an H80 but as ive looked on youtube and various review sites alls that comes up is "listen to the clicking sound", "air bubble", "bits falling off" etc...

Has there been a product update or is the stock in the shops all old stock that people are having problems with ?

I would say its up in the air. What kind of cooling system do you have now?

If you're already using the Noctu@ air cooler, I would not bother with upgrading unless you go to a H100, but if you're not running anything as of now, I would strongly recommend it and also think about upgrading to the H100 if you have the space.

I would say its up in the air. What kind of cooling system do you have now?

If you're already using the Noctu@ air cooler, I would not bother with upgrading unless you go to a H100, but if you're not running anything as of now, I would strongly recommend it and also think about upgrading to the H100 if you have the space.

Indeed,

I recently upgraded the cooling in my main rig to an H80 from an Akasa Venom (+2 x 120mm push/pull Viper fans), results are more or less exactly the same when at average Summer ambient temps, at least for my locality, set up, other variables, etc, etc.

In fact, during the latter part of Autumn (if I had been so inclined), I probably would have been better off sticking with air cooling!!! Autumn/Winter ambient temps are making their presence felt evermore however, so the water option is coming into it's own now with my system!!

Just do a bit of on line research about the pro's and con's of water cooling, where it is best applied, when, why, and what are the benefits or issues over air cooling!!

When using a Hydro system that Corsair produces, I'd describe them more as a hybrid "Hydro/Air" system in all honestly, especially over a spec built water cooling system!! Yes, H2O may remove the heat from your CPU, but you them need to remove that heat from the rad anyway!! Which can as many find out the hard way, actually be noisier than just sticking with a high end air cooler too.

Thanks again for the link to "Open Hardware Monitor" as well Ginut :), a useful little app that :).

Indeed,

I recently upgraded the cooling in my main rig to an H80 from an Akasa Venom (+2 x 120mm push/pull Viper fans), results are more or less exactly the same when at average Summer ambient temps, at least for my locality, set up, other variables, etc, etc.

In fact, during the latter part of Autumn (if I had been so inclined), I probably would have been better off sticking with air cooling!!! Autumn/Winter ambient temps are making their presence felt evermore however, so the water option is coming into it's own now with my system!!

Just do a bit of on line research about the pro's and con's of water cooling, where it is best applied, when, why, and what are the benefits or issues over air cooling!!

When using a Hydro system that Corsair produces, I'd describe them more as a hybrid "Hydro/Air" system in all honestly, especially over a spec built water cooling system!! Yes, H2O may remove the heat from your CPU, but you them need to remove that heat from the rad anyway!! Which can as many find out the hard way, actually be noisier than just sticking with a high end air cooler too.

Thanks again for the link to "Open Hardware Monitor" as well Ginut :), a useful little app that :).

NP glad you like it, so far its the only temperature monitor and it does exactly what I want it to + it turns into a widget also for whatever I'm monitoring. :)

In regards to air coolers, I personally don't like the bulky radiators + fans hanging from the MB but that's just me.

This was a big debate for me as well. I wanted to get a Obsidian 800D and a H80 but I am still skeptical about putting liquid inside my computer. Kind of like how I still dont feel safe carrying a gun chambered even with a thumb and grip safety. I just like air cooling, makes me have more peace in mind. Thereforce I went the Coolermaster HAFX/ Prolimatech Megahalem route.

Part of me still wishes I went w/ the Corsair case and CPU cooler, just so I could match it with the rest of my Corsair products. I remember seeing (I think on digitalstorm) a Obsidian 800D with liquid cooling and the tubes where white. "Mercy!" (Elvis voice)

Archived