Corsair Community

Is my H100 working right?

E-ric

Installed this today after lapping my 920, at first start up i head the water going through the tubes and it seemed to be working great, I didnt realize that the thumb screws provided were the only ones i should have used since i ended up using the philips nuts from my D14 noctua to tighten this down.

At idle at stock 2.6 clock my 920 is in the 50's on real temp? this seems way higher then normal and im starting to question if my pump is working or not..

i cant hear any fluid through the tubes, is this normal?

Since i have to replace the screws with the right thumb nuts that came with the unit i will be replacing the TIM with as5 till i get a better compound..

Any way to know if my pump is working right?

thanks.

It's difficult to hear liquid moving through the tubes. If it is, you should be able to feel heat from the radiator, particularly in the area where the tubes enter the radiator.

If you connect the three pin fan-type connector from the pump to a fan header on your mother board, you can monitor the pumps speed, which should be ~2000 RPM.

I don't know what the Noctua screws are like, but you really should use the thumb screws provided by Corsair.

thanks, my HW monitor shows 2040 for the cpu fan speed. The screws look the same as the ones corsair provided but silver and with the philips at the top to tighten down. Ill replace them with ones provided. Do you know what the other stand off bolts with the shorter and wider end are for?

thanks, my HW monitor shows 2040 for the cpu fan speed. The screws look the same as the ones corsair provided but silver and with the philips at the top to tighten down. Ill replace them with ones provided. Do you know what the other stand off bolts with the shorter and wider end are for?

Those Noctua bolts might be Ok, as long as they are threaded deep enough so they don't stop before the pump is tight enough. You could test that with one of the other stand off bolts you mentioned, the longer threaded portion is the same length as the others are. Removing one of the Noctua nuts from from your installed pump will probably be Ok, but that is up to you. I broke a stand off bolt by over tightening the thumb screw. I ran the PC with the pump held in place with three nuts, with an i7-930 CPU, and my CPU temps were fine.

Try both nuts on that standoff and see if the Noctua leaves a gap between it and the bottom of the stand off. The Corsair nuts will thread on completely. If the Noctua nut leaves a gap greater than the thickness of the pump mounting brackets, you can put washers on the stand off bolts, after the pump is placed on the CPU, on top of the pump mounting brackets to compensate.

What those other stand off bolts are for is a good question, I'm not sure. They might be for use with the Intel socket 2011 CPUs that have not been released yet. Since these bolts will not fit in the current CPU back plate, either Corsair will need to provide a new back plate, or the 2011 socket has it's own back plate or threaded inserts as part of the socket, or Intel will provide the back plate. Who knows?

I have 4 cougar vortex fans set up in a push pull throwing air outside the case, do you think this is hindering air flow in any way?

Now I see those Noctua nuts, they are threaded all the way through from what I can see. They are fine, as long as they contact the pump brackets enough.

Your installation is quite common, so should be fine. Sure, you could cut away all the top grill like you did on the rear fan port, for the ultimate air flow. IMO, that wouldn't look very good, but to each their own.

I really don't know if the common grill like that is more restrictive as an intake or exhaust vent, I've never seen information about that.

RAM GUY's suggestion is really a requirement IMO, you don't want your H100's fans fighting against that fan for air, plus you'll get cooler outside air for the H100.

Corsair does suggest having the radiator fans intake outside air since that is cooler than the air inside a case, which makes sense. The trade-off with that is you need to remove the warm air from the radiator from the case. Configuring that will a large radiator like the H100's is more difficult than the other H-series coolers.

In the end, the only way to find what works the best is to try all the possibilities. The differences in cooling may be so small that a more convenient mounting configuration may really be the best overall.

Archived