Corsair Community

Force 60 GB Possible Problem

Spartan0536

Ok I love my SSD, and I have done extensive testing this morning, I am hoping to get my system back up and running by BF3 release. This morning while playing World of Tanks with a few of my Australian friends my system started lagging in place ("hiccuping") and making the audio play distorted noises. After resetting the machine I have yet to get back into windows and when it tries to get into the login screen it hangs and leaves me with a black loading screen. I have tested components and have narrowed it down to 3 possible causes.....

(Note: NOT in ANY specific order)

1. Motherboard

2. Solid State Drive (Houses Operating System ONLY)

3. Operating System

Running Windows 7 64-Bit Professional using the latest drivers available, latest motherboard BIOS (v3.9) and SSD Firmware v2.0. Individually tested all 4 RAM sticks and used Memtest 86+ v4.20 and all tested 100%, used an HDD tester with Hirens HBCD and SSD tested PERFECT not sure how reliable the program is with SSD's. CPU & Video tests came back with 0 errors after running for over 1 hour on stability and stress testing.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Update:

I did some additional testing this early morning, I disconnected my HDD which only houses games and other programs and only had my SSD plugged in which has the Operating System installed on it. When I tried to boot like this my PC said I had no viable boot disk, I turned off the system, unplugged the SSD and only had the HDD plugged in, I got a windows error stating that a critical part of the drive housing windows was not accessible. I know 100% that I installed windows to ONLY the SSD as that was the ONLY drive I had installed at the time, the HDD was installed after windows was installed on the SSD. Wondering if this is actually an SSD error and if so how long will I be without an SSD for RMA?

I understand that, I changed the boot priority in BOIS myself to the proper settings accordingly. This still raises the question of why when my data drive is unplugged that my SSD says that there is no boot drive when my SSD is the only drive active in BIOS and that my SSD is the drive that houses my OS.

no the storage drive does NOT house the Operating System only the SSD does, when both are plugged in I ALMOST get to windows login but it hangs at the black loading screen prior. I have tried Refreshing bios, using factory default settings, fail-safe settings, custom user settings, and performance settings just to be sure, all end in the same result as explained earlier in this reply.

The crash may have caused some windows files to be corrupted.

Run the Windows 7 Install Disk and press "Repair My Computer", then press "Startup Repair". See if can fix/repair/rebuild those files if they are corrupted.

If that didn't work, then the last choice is to secure erase the SSD.

If you have important data on the SSD, install Windows 7 on your storage drive and see if you can access the SSD.

I plan on plugging in my SSD and HDD into my friends desktop which is running stable right now, if I cant access it, I will pull my data off and attempt a re-install of windows, if that still does not work I will RMA my drive. If the drive works then its my Motherboard and I will RMA that.

OK I have the SSD plugged into my friends PC as I am typing this, my SSD which is running as a SLAVE drive as his SSD is the OS right now, my SSD fails to respond after 5 minutes, this is NOT an OS corruption this is indicative of a drive failure, if I am not correct please fell free to correct me and once again any assistance is appreciated.

When you are transferring your Data the drive freezes. If so, transfer then one at a time.

Once you have done that then secure erase the drive and re-install Windows.

Until you secure erase the drive and reinstall Windows that will tell give a sign that it just needed a secure erase or the drive is failing.

ok I am using my computer right now through Hirens 14.1 HBCD and Parted Magic 6.6 built in Firefox browser. This CONFIRMS that my motherboard is in good condition or it would not have worked, same for CPU, Ram, and and GPU. While secure erasing I got notifications all over the place telling me I had bad sectors and LOTS of them, program that was used for secure erase was through HBCD - Super F Disk, I have used this program for years as it allows for secure erasing which takes on average 30 minutes to 1 hour depending upon the drive.

I managed to secure erase the drive to some extent before it threw up "red flags" about bad sectors, not sure if this is enough, but there are NO partitions on the drive now and its a bare drive.

Just used System Stress Test to test out my CPU/Mobo/Ram, ran it for 10 minutes between both tests on 4M -1 Pass - 4 Threads - Borwein & Gauss Leg - Test settings, all came back 100% chksum was 100%, this is good news as it had definitely narrowed out all other possibilities of other components failing.

Archived