Corsair Community

H100 - Rad below the pump?

gcwebbyuk

I have a Corsair H100 with 4 AP15s cooling my 2600k at the moment. It works pretty well to be honest, and I have been pretty happy with it.

The only problem was that I had to mount it in the bottom radiator bay of my CM690-II case as there wasn't enough clearance on the motherboard heatsinks in the top bay - even with two of the fans mounted in the roof section.

Everything is fine while the system is running, and the pump can circulate the water well. The problem occurs when the system has been switched off for a period of time. An air pocket seems to form in the pump and therefore no water is circulated!

I have to move the case around to get the water to get into the pump before it starts to cool the system - I am guessing this is because the radiator is designed to be fitted above the pump.

Is this an RMA?

I am guessing this is because the radiator is designed to be fitted above the pump.

Correct! There is a small amount of air inside the unit and if your pump is the highest spot in the loop that is where the air is going to go. I dont believe it would be an RMA situation because there really isn't anything wrong with it.

NO but it has been mentioned before that as it is a closed system it does not matter where the radiator is sited. But like all advice it assumed that most cases would normally have positions for top or back of case. As nearly all water cooling units need the reservoir above or level with pump. As the H100 has no separate reservoir the radiator becomes the reservoir.

As an idea it would be nice if corsair did a unit where you could fit a separate reservoir in series with radiator\pump. this would allow the H100 to be fitted in more case designs such as fitting radiator and fans at bottom of case and fitting the reservoir in a 5.25" bay. And still get the benefit of corsairs cooling block design.

what happens if you are able to turn pump round so pipes are at top. Maybe it would leave some water in pump to get syphon started.

This idea does make sense, but then the air would be in the internal pipes coming into the pump, or in the 90 degree elbow fittings, which may not help either.

I'll suggest a counter-intuitive fix, turn the pump so the tubes are at the bottom. While that puts the pump chamber at the highest point, hopefully the chamber will not be empty, and the inlet tube should be full of fluid. It may take a few seconds to get going, but it might work.

NO but it has been mentioned before that as it is a closed system it does not matter where the radiator is sited. But like all advice it assumed that most cases would normally have positions for top or back of case. As nearly all water cooling units need the reservoir above or level with pump. As the H100 has no separate reservoir the radiator becomes the reservoir.

Yes it is a closed loo system and SHOULD work in any position. However i can see where if the cooling block were situated in the right spot like the OP's that the air could get stuck at the top and prevent the pump from priming. Once the water moves , even just a little it should be enough to get the unit to start circulating.

I'll suggest a counter-intuitive fix, turn the pump so the tubes are at the bottom. While that puts the pump chamber at the highest point, hopefully the chamber will not be empty, and the inlet tube should be full of fluid. It may take a few seconds to get going, but it might work.

This is an excellent idea! Since water is not compressible any small movement from the outlet side of the pump will cause the water in the rest of the system to move. Keeping the tubes like you suggested should keep the block fro emptying and just might be enough to keep it "primed"

• 3 weeks later...

This is correct regardless custom loop or closed system. No way around the fact that the pump will need to be below the resevoir, not above it if you want it to work long term.

A couple things. If you are going to put the rad on the outside, do so with the rad tubes at the top, not at the bottom. In other words, don't put the rad upside down where the tubes are at the bottom of the case. The reason for this is that it is far easier for a pump to move fluid with the rad and tubes facing up on the outside of the case because it is pushing the fluid down into the rad and in doing so the pump doesn't have to work so much pulling the fluid up thru the other tube because for one there is already momentum. If you do it the opposite way the pump has to work harder to force the fluid up into the rad chamber. You can do both way, its just that one way makes the pump work harder than necessary. Also, keep the resevoir (in this case the rad) above the pump...This is standard proceedure for water cooling regardless if closed loop or custom loop, the principals apply the same.

Archived