Corsair Community

What happens with incompatible memory?

johnsalomon

Hi there,

it's been a long time since I built a PC. I did some research (apparently not enough) and bought the following combo:

Asus P7P55D-E Pro

Corsair Memory 8 GB (2 x 4GB) Memory Kit for Intel Core i7 8 Dual Channel Kit 2000MHz (PC3 16000) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (CMT8GX3M2A2000C9)

The OS boots and runs fine, and lists the full 8GB, but I've noticed my PC behaving a bit sluggishly (Windows 7 64-bit) and looked into upgrading - it only now occurred to me to check the memory configurator.

I thought I'd checked the compatibility - I obviously didn't check enough. Yes, it was stupid. So my questions are:

- with memory like this that's not listed in the compatibility matrix for this motherboard, is it possible that it will run below spec?

- if I'm looking to increase (ideally double) the memory on the board, is it unheard of to mix and match (e.g. 2x these modules, 2x 1600Mhz?)

Thank you, sorry for the probably stupid questions.

• Corsair Employees
These modules will work on that MB but they would not be my first choice for that system. I would consider trying to find another home for these modules and then just purchase a 16 Gig Vengeance set of modules for best performance.

Archived