Corsair Community

H60 noise check

shadowdogg

Hi, I got a replacement H60 (from new) to check if noise would be any better and whilst instead of 4300 RPM it is now around 4141RPM (which is a little wierd that it has gone down in RPM as the only thing changed is the pump), that troublesome noise is there so I guess its just the h60 being a little too powered and maybe if I could reduce it to 4000 RPM it would go away but I can't because Gigabyte is rubbish.

Anyway, I want to check noise comparison with both of them on. Will it cause any damage if I had the pump plugged into the 3 pin and not connected to the cpu or anything? I just want a proper comparison for sound so I know whether I should resell it or see if it is a noticeable difference in noise and return for refund.

Thank you.

Hi, I got a replacement H60 (from new) to check if noise would be any better and whilst instead of 4300 RPM it is now around 4141RPM (which is a little wierd that it has gone down in RPM as the only thing changed is the pump), that troublesome noise is there so I guess its just the h60 being a little too powered and maybe if I could reduce it to 4000 RPM it would go away but I can't because Gigabyte is rubbish.

Anyway, I want to check noise comparison with both of them on. Will it cause any damage if I had the pump plugged into the 3 pin and not connected to the cpu or anything? I just want a proper comparison for sound so I know whether I should resell it or see if it is a noticeable difference in noise and return for refund.

Thank you.

If you do what you described here, there won't be any problems or danger to the H60 not mounted on a CPU. You don't need to have a fan on that one's radiator either, since it is not dealing with any CPU heat.

You could also connect the H60 you are testing directly to your PS with a molex to three pin adapter, which will insure you bypass any voltage drop due to your boards fan control software, if it is active.

The slight difference in pump speeds you found between the two H60's is normal, I have two H60's and they do not show identical speeds. That difference will not affect cooling ability.

It is possible to put the H60's pump on a separate fan speed controller to tweak it's speed and hopefully reduce any noise issues. You don't want to reduce the pump's speed very much, anything below about 3800 RPM might begin to affect the pump's flow rate.

It is possible to put the H60's pump on a separate fan speed controller to tweak it's speed and hopefully reduce any noise issues. You don't want to reduce the pump's speed very much, anything below about 3800 RPM might begin to affect the pump's flow rate.

Hi, how would I do that? Also, how could I add thermal paste to the h60 as I will probably have to resell it. Stocking fee's from scan.co.uk will probably be extraordinary. More than they actually gain from profit to buy it from Corsair in the first place.

Get a fan speed controller, usually one that just has one control knob on it, and it must be the type that get's its power from the mother board, so you can check the pump speed. The power-in connection goes to the board, the power out connection to the pump. Turn it all the way up at first, and start the PC. Check the pump's speed, and tweak the pump's speed down a bit and listen closely until you hopefully find that magic quiet spot.

Do you want to re-apply TIM so it looks new and unused? It will be very difficult to get a TIM application as perfect as it comes new, I wouldn't bother.

Archived