Corsair Community

System loses connection to SSD randomly

james73

Hi,

I thought I'd ask here as this problem has only happened since I replaced my old boot ssd sata II drive with a brand new gt 60gb sata III drive. Now it could be that it's a controller issue on my mobo but I'm just not sure.

Anyway, this is the problem. This is something which happens only very sporadically. I use the computer heavily and it's only happened say 4 times in the 3 months I've had the new ssd. Since swapping out the old drive and installing windows, after I have left the computer 'idle' in that I'm just not using it but programs are running, I come back to it and something weird has happened. All the programs are still running and fine but, when I try to access anything not running already(from the boot drive not my storage drive) nothing will load. It seems like the pc has 'lost' the connection to the ssd somehow. Anything in memory or external to this drive is okay. When I reboot, it won't recognise(inc in the bios) that the drive is there. I had thought it was perhaps a dodgy connection on the sata III port(I am using the Intel sata III), but just switching off at the plug for 30 secs clears it, so I'd rule that out. I am going to swap the port over to see if that changes anything. If I could, I'd try the old drive on the same port, but after a month of everything working fantastically well with the new drive, I reallocated it to a different computer. I have the bios on 1850 which is not the latest but the updated one is for support for new 22nm chips(woo). The ssd fw is 1.3. I will reflash both with the latest files, though I had the issues before and flashing didn't change the situation.

I've had the pc assembled since mid april and yes it is overclocked, but only to 4.2ghz. Everything has been well tested I'd say. 20 hours blend on p95 and same on memtest. Originally I had a single faulty memory module from the kit and had it replaced. Everything has been well tested since the replacement memory was installed.

This is a really odd problem which I've never come across. I don't want to RMA the parts just yet as first off I bought the parts from different e-tailers and secondly the problem is so sporadic I just don't know whether I could give them the conditions to recreate it. I can't come up with any further ideas to try to identify the culprit and rectify the problem. I forgot to mention I have tried reinstalling windows too. Any help and or suggestions would be most welcome! :(

Thanks,

James.

I'd definitely recommend updating to newest firmware and BIOS followed by a CMOS reset and a few mins without power cable connected to the SSD. And then possibly a Windows 7 reinstall.

Or at the very least uninstall the drive from device manager, reboot, having it reinstall the driver, reboot, run WEI and finally reboot again.

Yes I did do all these things before I'm afraid. I've updated the fw/bios and I swapped to the other intel sata III port. So I'll just have to wait and see I guess! I think if it happens again I'll try another clean install of windows with a secure erase first and then maybe contact asus if it still happens.

Did you make sure in your power management settings that the hard disk is set to never turn off? I had a similar issue and that fixed it. I would be working online, but not really accessing the hard drive and it would turn off on me which either caused a bsod, or usually just a freeze.

Archived