Corsair Community

Force GT 120gb BSOD

Vengeful

Just got a new Force GT 120gb.

I edited the registry so I could boot with AHCI turned on, plugged in the drive and turned on AHCI. I updated the firmware to 1.3.2 then booted my computer with my Win 7 x64 install CD and installed the OS on the new SSD. Install went fine, but I keep getting BSOD. Crashes seem to occur at random, sometimes after 2 hours, sometimes after 15 minutes. It does appear to happen when something is being written to the drive (Windows Update, Debugging Tools for Windows)

I've made sure my chipset was up to date and I have the newest controller version. I'm not sure what else to do. I checked the .dmp files from the crashes and they all point to different files which make me think it is the new drive. Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard: Biostar TP45e 6.0 SATA II

Have you tried disabling power savings in BIOS like C-states, c1e EIST?

Some people have found stability in disabling TRIM in Win7, it's worth a shot.

Also possibly try a native Intel SATA II slot. Possibly a different SATA cable.

Hope you'll see some results from this :)

So I think I have it figured out, and it wasn't the SSD at all. I had pulled the Force GT out and installed Win 7 on my old HDD and still got a BSOD. I'm thinking there is some sort of comparability issue with my HDD and having AHCI turned on. Either that or it is my motherboard.

I sure hope I didn't loose too much life on the SSD with everything I was doing trying to troubleshoot

3 Installs of Windows and 2 Secure Erases

I may have spoke too soon.

I had initially thought it was the SSD, but I removed the drive and installed Windows on my old HDD (how I had it before) but it still BSOD. Then I removed the HDD and installed the O/S on the SSD. The system is much more stable than it was before with the HDD still connected, but I've gotten at least two BSOD in the last 12 hours.

I'm 100% sure it is my motherboards AHCI support. I'm now trying different drivers to see if that fixes it.

Does anyone know if there have been reported issues with S.M.A.R.T enabled?

SOOOO...Im new here fellas...so please excuse my ignorance to the SSD's...Here is my problem....I just finished my new build....I decided to go with SSD's. My first 120GB Corsair is installed in Port 1 and I have Windows 7 installed there....I then shut down and installed a second 120GB Corsair SSD into Port 2 and restarted...It does not show up in My Computer......It shows up in bios tho.....HELP please....

SOOOO...Im new here fellas...so please excuse my ignorance to the SSD's...Here is my problem....I just finished my new build....I decided to go with SSD's. My first 120GB Corsair is installed in Port 1 and I have Windows 7 installed there....I then shut down and installed a second 120GB Corsair SSD into Port 2 and restarted...It does not show up in My Computer......It shows up in bios tho.....HELP please....

You might want to post a new thread on that problem instead of posting in an existing one. It will ensure the tech people around here read it.

As a quick advice, tho, try opening Disk Management and check if it shows up there. If it does, rightclick -> initialize

Still getting BSOD. The system seems stable unless I start doing something moderately intensive. System temps remain cool (25-30 degC). I have found that I can coax a BSOD out fairly quick by running a memory test of about 1/4th of my free RAM. I wasn't having these problems before I enabled AHCI so that is my next step. I'm going to return to IDE mode and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll start working my way through the rest of the system starting with my RAM.

Firmware: 1.3.2

Intel RST: Installed

BIOS: Updated

TRIM: Disabled

C States: Disabled

C1E: Disabled

EIST: Disabled

Power Settings: High Performance

LPM: Disabled

Please state the actual BSOD number you are getting. That is relevant to tracking the problem down.

As for some additional diagnostics:

• Google for Ultimate Boot CD, put it on a USB stick or a CD
  • Run Memtest86+ test for 24 hours.
  • Run the Prime 95 (a.k.a. Mersenne Prime Test) test for 24 hours.

If either of those fail, you have a problem someplace else than your Windows load or hard drive. If they don't fail, you can be reasonably sure that your RAM is good and that your motherboard/memory/CPU/power supply can handle heavy loads from the CPU without failing.

If the machine is rebooting before you can see the BSOD error code, you can check your Windows System Logs (see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmbhelp/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.etools.mft.doc%2Fan04090_.htm) or (for Windows 7) turn off automatic reboots (see http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm).

I think I may have found a fix. Manually set the clock speed for the FSB and RAM. Tried to force a BSOD with a memtest like I've done before and haven't had one. Will update tomorrow.

I think there may have been a power saving feature somewhere that was adjusting my speeds on the fly and causing errors. Not sure why this would coincide with an upgrade to an SSD & Installing with AHCI.

Okay. System has been stable for 12 hours. Reconnected my HDD and still no issues.

Here is what I did.

1) Disabled Memory Remapping in my BIOS and the system became stable. Which pretty much assured me that it was a motherboard issue.

2) using Verifier.exe, I began monitoring all of the non-Microsoft drivers to force a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0xA error.

3) Whenever I got one of these I would narrow my search by 1

4) Eventually I got down to an IDE controller.

5) After researching it, I discovered that the chipset & controllers update offered by BIOSTAR completely ignored the JMicro JMB368 storage controller on my motherboard.

6) Facepalm http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNRQozV5nzSkjgZxra1aLgF01vh7ns5PJfJa5SYgJdILxVuzPs7Q

7) Installed the JMicro controller.

8) ???

9) Profit

Archived