Corsair Community

TRIM in OS X (Lion)

MaleEgo

Hi There,

It would appear that TRIM is not enabled in OS X with none Apple SSD's by default. Can you please tell me how to enable TRIM support.

I have a brand new MBP and the disk is not performing very well at all and think this maybe due to the lack of TRIM. Is anyone getting good speeds without TRIM in OSX?

Thanks all.

Is it a Corsair SSD or an Apple SSD?

I have the Corsair Force 3 240gb connected to a SATA3 port.

I have actually found a way of enabling TRIM now but performance has not increased. followed fix here: http://digitaldj.net/2011/07/21/trim-enabler-for-lion/

I'm getting a write of 230ish and a read 200ish.

I know this is good but that is all it is and not the performance I was expecting from a Force 3 drive.

Any help on getting this drive performing how we all know it can would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

can you try a liveXPCD and test it? im just wondering if the OS is the bottleneck or the motherboard.

Would you mind referring me to a link that explains about how to perform a speed test using a LiveXPCD please?

Thank you.

Use UBCD4Win or Hiren's Boot CD. Unfortunately both take a little bit of time and knowledge to get working, you must also have an .iso or actual disc of WinXP to construct them.

Regardless, I find live CDs rather useful for many tasks so It's not a bad idea to have them around.

I didn't know macintosh supported TRIM but if it does there would be many reasons why you are not getting the expected speeds. These drives are not tested on apple computers and rarely used on them, so we don't really know what they are capable of (both hardware wise and software). If you try the XP, that would help eliminate some of the question, but remember XP is also not catered for SSD, Win7 would actually be the best test to eliminate software as the question.

Have you installed the SSD in the main HDD bay or in the optical bay? Optical bays for certain mbps only have SATA II.

Trim has been supported since Mac OSX SL. MBP tend to not achieve speeds advertised with SSDs. I got a intel 510 and get between 280-290 read, 200 write.

The best way to measure corsair ssds is install windows via boot camp and running ATTO.

Have you installed the SSD in the main HDD bay or in the optical bay? Optical bays for certain mbps only have SATA II.

Trim has been supported since Mac OSX SL. MBP tend to not achieve speeds advertised with SSDs. I got a intel 510 and get between 280-290 read, 200 write.

The best way to measure corsair ssds is install windows via boot camp and running ATTO.

On my MBP, both SATA connections are SATA3 but it is in the main bay anyway and I have a HDD in the Optibay socket.

I will install Windows 7 via boot camp and test as you suggest.

Cheers everyone.

im using a corsair force gt and i tried enabling trim using the trim enabler but my speeds are still the same with or without trim.

in fact, my ssd's quite slow. i am only getting 135Mb/s write speeds with read speeds of 250mb/s. im on a macbook pro 2010 running lion and that is running SATA II. But still, i believe the write speed should not be so slow right?

Archived