Corsair Community

h100 radiator out side of case

lethal_ghost

Currently doing my first pc build and decided on a h100 and how i would set it up, either pull cold air from the outside, but exhaust warm air in to the case, or warm air from inside the case pushing hot air out. Both have a downside and i though about what would be best and decided that mounting the radiator out side of the case would get the best of both worlds.

I know the hoses dont detach so cutting a slot in the top of the case to slide them in when the side is off and a few bits of ally bent with screw holes in mounted to the top of the case to secure the rad wouldnt be hard to make.

So i was wondering has this been done ? couldnt find much on google.

Any way thoughts? good or bad idea ?

Currently doing my first pc build and decided on a h100 and how i would set it up, either pull cold air from the outside, but exhaust warm air in to the case, or warm air from inside the case pushing hot air out. Both have a downside and i though about what would be best and decided that mounting the radiator out side of the case would get the best of both worlds.

I know the hoses dont detach so cutting a slot in the top of the case to slide them in when the side is off and a few bits of ally bent with screw holes in mounted to the top of the case to secure the rad wouldnt be hard to make.

i have done this with an h60. temperatures really dropped compared with an in-case install.

IMG_3343.thumb.JPG.c35cf6499b2e8b3544193de6474455b6.JPG

IMG_3345.thumb.JPG.f4ed4fa2724b3005edd80a15398b548f.JPG

iv just ordered them, im going to try and mount it horizontal on the top of my case. Supprised that few people have done this seems very easy to do.

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/e/k/ek-uni-rad-holder1_600.jpg

My thoughts on cold air in is you have 2 fans on the h100 or 4 fans. If your inputting this much air into the case you are either warming your other components or the air around your cpu making short term gains, and long term warming if you do not have enough air moving out.

My HAFX has the side and front large fans putting in and 1 top large exhausting already and only a 120 on the rear exhausting with the graphics cards, the choice was obvious to push out.

The air balance is delicate and even changes when temperature pockets change.

Example: my graphics cards at idle run colder at 30% fan speed and idle than 100% fan speed and idle, the extra air draw pulls hot air into them. Obviously this effect does not work when your gpu's are hotter than the surrounding and that "hot" air that heated them when cold is colder than they are then.

Ive not put mine outside but my case is partitioned which really helps as the rad can be mounted below with some cutting to feed the pump through. End result will be that im cutting up another piece of aluminium up with cut out at the back just for the pipes so i can totally seal off the bottom section.

Please excuse the wiring knowhere near done yet.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/281/f/4/pc_by_tiptop131176-d4c90bb.jpg

This is what i used to mount mine with

http://static.scan.co.uk/images/products/1549315-a.jpg

The hoses are not very long, and depending upon your case, might let you put the radiator outside, but just barely. Then trying to orient the radiator with the fans attached will not be easy, given the amount of slack you'll have with the hoses, very little.

Another reason people don't mount it outside the case is because... it looks like crap. Yes, that is an opinion, some will think it's cool that way, but not me. :ummmm:

Although it looks like you will be using those brackets to mount the radiator, which will mean very little or zero case-cutting. If you still think you need to, wait for your H100 to arrive, the hose lengths will make or break it's installation.

The air balance is delicate and even changes when temperature pockets change.

Example: my graphics cards at idle run colder at 30% fan speed and idle than 100% fan speed and idle, the extra air draw pulls hot air into them. Obviously this effect does not work when your gpu's are hotter than the surrounding and that "hot" air that heated them when cold is colder than they are then.

Good point, I've noticed things like this myself. IMO, the airflow within a PC's case is much more complex than it is generally thought to be. In my experience, the more fans added to a case, particularly in unusual positions, the worse the overall air flow and cooling is. I've improved cooling by removing one or more fans that really should not have been there at all.

My CM Storm Sniper case has the same fan configuration as your HAF X, and I find it works very well. A different manufactures case I have with large fans allows one to be mounted on the side, but it works better with two fans exhausting at the top. I have my H60 exhausting air into the case, but the radiator is so close to these exhaust fans (less than an inch, mounted vertically) that the warm air is immediately removed from the case.

I would love to see PC case air flow testing, with a clear side panel on the case, and that "smoke" that is used in wind tunnel and other air flow experiments. I'm not sure how good it would work, but I think it would be obvious if a case had a very direct, uninterrupted air flow, in contrast to one that didn't. A smoke filled case that obscured the view of the components would be an example of the latter. I would wager that a down-flow CPU cooler like the stock Intel, and the fan/air flow configuration of most video cards, really disturbs the air flow within a case.

Archived