Corsair Community

Weird results on ATTO + Failed to boot with ACHI enabled

pocken

Hi everyone,

I just put together my computer and started doing some benchmarks. I got some strange results on my ATTO-test. You can see the results in the attached picture. Shouldn't the "read speed" generally be greater than the "write speed"?

I found this test and as you can see my results are not even close to what they got. I am also using ATTO version 2.46...

I have followed every step here and I have also enabled the TRIM command.

However when I changed the setting in the registry to AHCI mode and then changed to AHCI mode in BIOS the computer would not boot. It could not load the operating system and froze just before the Windows-logo would appear.

Can anyone please help me with my problems? Maybe the bad performance of the SSD has to do with the AHCI mode not being enabled? What can I do when my computer won't start up with AHCI enabled?

My system looks like this:

Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P B3

Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL8 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1536MB OC

Corsair SSD Force GT 120GB

Corsair HX 750W 80+ Bronze

Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks in advance and Best regards,

Michael from Sweden

2.jpg.eab7403d317bab407ec3b889f94966ec.jpg

In the past, users have used a manual registry tweak to enable the system to load Windows after changing from IDE to AHCI mode. The only other option was to reload the OS with the drive in AHCI mode and load the proper driver.

Apparently this little tool has been out since AUG of 2010. It's an AUTOMATED SCRIPT FROM MICROSOFT TO MAKE THE REGISTRY CHANGE.

::pirate::

Yes, IDE mode (non-AHCI) has to do with the lower results you're experiencing.

What procedure did you follow exactly for switching to AHCI? Following the link Syntohol provided is probably the easiest solution..

Also, I wouldn't recommend moving temp files to a regular HDD. It'll make your brand new computer feel slower and there's no added benefit.

Yes, IDE mode (non-AHCI) has to do with the lower results you're experiencing.

What procedure did you follow exactly for switching to AHCI? Following the link Syntohol provided is probably the easiest solution..

Also, I wouldn't recommend moving temp files to a regular HDD. It'll make your brand new computer feel slower and there's no added benefit.

First I made the manual change in regedit by changing "Start" to 0 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci.

After that made the AHCI change in BIOS and then Windows wouldn't load. When the screen said: "Loading operating system..." (or something similar) the computer completely froze and I tried to reboot a few times with the same result.

After that I changed back to IDE-mode in BIOS and then Windows started.

Then I installed the fix from Synthohol's link, even though I never saw this error message: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE". After a reboot and again switching to AHCI in BIOS, Windows would launch normally.

I did another ATTO-benchmark and got higher scores than before but the computer froze right before the tests were done and I had to hit the reset button. This was last night and I haven't tried ATTO again. The computer is working just fine but I still want to benchmark the SSD to see if I get the same results as in the tests I've found online.

Hmm... Maybe I should restore my temp folders to C:... is there anything else in that guide that you wouldn't recommend that I do?

/Michael

Hmm, I must admit I don't know how that process can go wrong. It seems pretty simple.

Yeah the other tweaks in the thread are worthwhile imo. And btw I'd recommend getting a good PC cleaner utility to manage the temp files like CCleaner. Free, fast and easy.

Hmm, I must admit I don't know how that process can go wrong. It seems pretty simple.

Yeah the other tweaks in the thread are worthwhile imo. And btw I'd recommend getting a good PC cleaner utility to manage the temp files like CCleaner. Free, fast and easy.

Yeah I know everything should be fine... Im gonna try ATTO again tonight and see if I can complete the test.

Is anyone else experiencing longer boot time with ACHI enabled? I think the POST is scanning every SATA connection before Windows starts up and this takes about 10 sec. This procedure does not take place when IDE is enabled...

I'm still having problems with my SSD...

Windows completely freezes when I try to benchmark the disc. I have tried both ATTO and AS SSD benchmark but with the same result: A few moments into the benchmark Windows freezes completely and I have to hit the reset button. When the computer boots it can't find the SSD disc and therefore it can't load Windows. It just stops and says: "Loading operating system..."

After cutting the power again Windows is starting normally.

This has happend to me 5-6 times now and I'm getting really frustrated.

Can anyone help me with this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Update to Firmware 1.3.2

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99366

Then secure erase the SSD and re-install Windows.

So now I've secure erased the disc and re-installed Windows. I have enabled TRIM and AHCI and you can see my results from ATTO in the attached picture.

Max read speed is about 280 MB/sec and max write is about 270 MB/sec.

I don't know what to do now... Seems like I've tried everything there is...

912082110_ATTO1.jpg.e243e7cd674303cac9678f06a2b0a04e.jpg

you have 2 different sata3 channels. 2 on an intel chip and 2 on a marvel chip.

i would start swapping ports and test to see which offers the best speed.

the ports 3_0 and 3_1 are the intel chip (best performance here ill bet) and ports 3_6 and 3_7 are the marvels.

if you already tried the connector dance and still no luck, i would see if you can: (A) try testing the speed on another system or (B) see if gigabyte will replace your board.

good luck!

Perfect SATA II results!

its a sata 3 drive.

its a sata 3 drive.

I get that. It just really really really really really looks a lot like it's connected to a SATA II controller, in which case it works perfectly.

I just haven't seen any sign of problems yet since he did SE and reinstall of win7.

I get that. It just really really really really really looks a lot like it's connected to a SATA II controller, in which case it works perfectly.

I just haven't seen any sign of problems yet since he did SE and reinstall of win7.

Agreed, this looks like a Force SATAII drive result.

Hi again,

Now I've changed from SATA3_1 to SATA3_0 on the motherboard and you can see my new score from the ATTO-benchmark below.

It seems like the SATA3_1 connector didn't work at the correct speed. Just like you guys (or girls) thought.

I don't quite reach 515 MB/sec write speed but hey, I'm pretty close and I'm happy with that :)

The question now is: should I go to all the trouble of returning the motherboard to the store...?

Thanks alot for all your help!

335396370_ATTOSATA3_0.jpg.db0aa93a69ee80775552b38af2aa8263.jpg

Archived