Corsair Community

BIOS setting recommendations?

Lemmingbomb

Dear Ram Guy

-

I was hoping that you'd be kind enough to offer some advice to a novice PC builder. I have two issues:

1) Have I rogered my ram?

I've had my current build for some 3 years now and have been very happy with it (and the performance of the ram) but am planning to make the upgrade from XP to Win7. My PC has been happily chugging along with 2gigs of XMS2-6400C4, but I thought it was time for an upgrade.

Being a n00b , I accidentally ordered some XMS2-6400 CL5 ram. Not realising the danger of mixing ram I stuck them in and found that the stability was not that great (the machine would start juddering for 5-10 seconds at random intervals (even under low stress) after being turned on for a couple of hours). The bugger is that now I've taken the CL5s out - I'm still getting the problem. Is this the sort of thing that can happen?

2) What BIOS settings would you recommend?

Once I removed the CL5s I noticed that the BIOS was running my ram at 5-5-5-18 and 1.8volts (as opposed to the specified 4-4-4-12 2.1 volts). I've changed the settings manually, but am aware that I don't really know what I'm doing and wonder if my meddling has contributed to the stability issues I'm having.

- I have a pair of brand new C4s ready to go in to bring the total up to 4GB and was really hoping to get some expert guidance in case I damage these new ones.

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to try what ever you like but I can only suggest the tested settings for the memory you have, please look on the label it will tell you the tested settings and Voltage most likely Cas 5-5-5-18 at 1.8 Volts or 5-5-5-12 at 1.9 Volts.

Archived