Corsair Community

possiblility of vengance compatibility with x38?

mongo988

I know that Vengance memory is designed for sandybridge systems but I allready perchased CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B as an upgrade for my current system.

Is it possible for to run it on an asus maximus extreme with an intel E8400(wolfdale core 2)?

Or should I just return it and get something else?

It should run just fine but the real question will be if your X38 board and it's memory controller will do 1600 on the memory. You may not be able to get the memory to the full 1600. Most likely, you'll be able to run it somewhere between 1066 and 1333, depending on how good your memory controller is.

that's what i thought, and the board does support it but i haven't been able to get it to post with the ram in without an overclocking failure(after i reset the cmos). My mobo is reading the ram fine but is running it at around 1.68v where newegg said its 1.5v ram. I haven't tried it at 1066 yet.

also the ram doesn't show up on the compatibility chart for my mobo on the corsair site. I would prefer to not have to return it unless i had to.

thanks, Ive got it running stable a 1002 MHz with all stick in and gotten it to post at 1066 with one stick but not consistantly it would be nice to run it at a higher frequency but I can do that when i get around to upgrading my mobo and cpu.

thanks for the help

Archived