Corsair Community

New Build Memory Issues

sreilly24590

I've been working on a new system build for a few days and working out the kinks. The MB is an Asus P8Z68-V Pro and I've installed 4 new sticks of CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 memory modules. Right off the bat I had issues installing Windows 7 Pro until I was told to remove all but 1 4GB stick and install. That worked fine but in all the years I've built computers that was a first. Long story short I've had update and software install issues as well as a few BSOD. I did look at the BIOS settings and under the advanced mode saw that the memory was not configured for using XMP mode which I did enable.

Prior to that I had run Windows memory test and it appeared to have locked up at about 10% progress and reported hardware issues. Rebooted and set the BIOS setting as above and re-ran test without issue. I just downloaded MemTest and probably should run that from a boot CD.

Question is, I've never had memory issues that I am aware of over the years so I'm not sure if they can cause update and software install issues or not. What advice would you give me at this point to try to isolate the problem? I'm limited to bandwidth restrictions due to being on satellite modem so re-installing Windows would be the last thing I'd want to do.

Thanks,

Steve

So what is the recommended way to achieve 16GB RAM? This was the suggestion of the sales guys at Micro Center. I started a boot CD of MemTest86 and 4 minutes into it I already have 412 errors. I have had several 64 bit Windows systems that handled multiple kits without issues or at least there were not apparent. What is recommended now? I use this as a image processing system where each image is 25MB and depending on the process, it may take anywhere from 12 to 100 to create the master image. These are astro photos where creating a master bias frame could take 100 exposures and median combine them for a master image.

Only 412 errors? I had 49,920!! I have the same problem with an Asus board. The vibe seems to be either two 8Gb matched sticks in one kit, or four matched 4Gb sticks in one kit but not two kits of two matched sticks because Corsair will not guarantee them to work together. Apparently memory issues have become more prevalent with Intel's move to on-board cpu memory controllers rather than the old separate Northbridge chips on the mobos. This is causing timing problems with some memory, which certainly seems to be the problem I'm having. The advice I'm getting on the Asus support forum is use ******** memory in preference to Corsair, so that is what I'm going to do (a two stick kit).

Archived