Corsair Community

Recommended 16GB memory kit for Asus P5Q3 & Q6600

seymourbutts

Hi all,

I'm looking for the current recommended 16GB kit for my motherboard and CPU.

The reason I'm looking for 16GB of RAM is because I want to run this gear ultimately as a server, but until my current server needs replacement it will be my desktop PC. I don't care about clocking the memory at high speeds, I just want it stable. From other threads I've read, my memory will only be able to operate at the maximum FSB of 1066 anyway, due to the motherboard/CPU combo (1066 is the FSB of the Q6600 CPU).

Although Asus lists this motherboard as supporting 'up to 16GB memory', I've had a look at their QVL list and it hasn't been updated in ages (april 2010) - and the highest kit listed is an 8GB kit 'CMX8GX3M4A1333C9'.

The Corsair Configurator doesn't list my motherboard exactly, but it does list the P5Q3 Deluxe, which is a very similar motherboard - http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore?id=589533

The recommended 16GB kits are:

- CMP16GX3M4A1600C9 (DDR3-1600 Dominator-9-9-9-24*1.65v Dual Channel)

- CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 (DDR3-1333 XMS3-9-9-9-24*1.5v Dual Channel)

Unfortunately these memory kits are no longer available, however I can source all of the below:

+ CML16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) Vengeance DDR3

+ CML16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

+ CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

+ CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

+ CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

Would any of these be suitable, or am I out of luck and forced to trawl eBay for an older kit?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

- Seymour

Unfortunatley not an option for me to wait, I got this board cheap off a friend, so I have my Q6600 and mobo ready to go, and just need to source some RAM. If I wanted to get a new system then it would be much more expensive (new CPU, mobo & RAM).

Thanks again for the recommendation, but it seems that the CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 RAM is no longer available where I am (Australia). I see it in some US online stores but the shipping would be half to 3/4 the cost of the RAM modules.

Maybe I can put it this way - if I bought the CMX16GX3M4A1600C9 and was unable to get it to work stably on my motherboard running at 1066MHz would I have any recourse to get the RAM RMA'd or refunded with Corsair?

Or would they say 'its not confirmed tested for your motherboard, we cant help you'. :confused:

Thanks again for your input all.

-Seymour

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
With that MB and CPU you cannot run the memory faster than the CPU FSB and when you fill all four slots you may have to run the memory at DDr800 to keep the system stable but I would set the memory frequency to DDR1066 and set the timings manually to Cas 8-8-8-24 at 1.7 Volts and disable legacy USB and see if it will pass http://www.memtest.org.

Thanks for the suggestions, although you might want to take a breath next time. Also thanks for deleting my last post, which was an innocent attempt at helping anyone else with my motherboard, but mentioned a competitor model that worked well for me.

I am aware of the forum rules, which state competitor details are censored at the discretion of admins, but I thought this would probably be an exception, seeing as the only recommended Corsair RAM models are not available in my entire country! How can you protect a sale that you can't make?

It's things like this that can turn people off a brand. In fact, I'll be interested to see if this post gets deleted too..

• Corsair Employees

We have no reason to delete this post you have a right to your opinion. As long as you do not Violate the rules be my guest.

And this was posted on another thread about X38 and X48 but it will apply to P43 and P45 and P45 Chipsets as well.:

Ram Guy

The Intel X38, P35, P45 and X48 chipsets only support memory made with 128 By 8 memory IC's so our Vengeance modules are not compatible with any of these older chipsets and they will only support 2.0 Gig modules made with 128 By 8 memory IC's according to the Intel White papers for the chipsets.

• 3 years later...
  • Corsair Employees

With that P45 chipset, I would strongly suggest that you stick with DDR3 1066Mhz SKUs:

Same limitation where RAM GUY pointed out the reason:

Ram Guy

The Intel X38, P35, P45 and X48 chipsets only support memory made with 128 By 8 memory IC's so our Vengeance modules are not compatible with any of these older chipsets and they will only support 2.0 Gig modules made with 128 By 8 memory IC's according to the Intel White papers for the chipsets.

Archived