Corsair Community

Nirvana Achieved!!! 120 GB FORCE GT - RAID 0

SYSTEM ROCK SOLID OVER 2 MONTHS NOW 24/7 in RAID 0 with Read/Write speeds over 4.2 GBs on ATTO Disk Benchmark. WOW!!!!! Even works with Marvell RAID controller. Screen Shot is attached.

How I did it:

-First: I updated FORCE GT SSD's to Firmware to v 1.3 using onboard non Marvel AHCI Sata 2 port

-Second: I tried to do a system restore from a Win 7 Pro 64 bit back up to the newly created FORCE GT RAID 0 array - no joy "critical error... system drive is missing..." hummm

-Third: (After head scratching for many hours) I installed a fresh load of Win 7 64 bit on a 150 WD Raptor hard drive I had as a spare. Then downloaded and installed all the oibligatory Windows updates to it as well.

-Fourth: I booted from the fresh Win 7 install on the WD HDD and then "cloned" this drive to the RAID 0 FORCE GT aray (240 GB combined total) using the free download software, "Clonezilla."

EUREKA!! Everything works perfectly. I've not had a single BSOD or freeze/crash and running 2 months 24/7. Sleep is working perfectly and instant on with any keystroke. My HTPC setup wakes itself to record up to four programs at once using the CETON InfiniTV tuner card and goes back to sleep after complete.

I couldn't be happier with how everything is working. How can you complain about a transfer rate off the charts at over 4 GBs?

Hope this helps some of you who have been having problems. Sending ALOHA from Hawaii...

1054846951_NirvanaAchieved-120GBFORCEGTSATA3-RAID0.JPG.d0e77a7ffa1bcbaed631018b265cef12.JPG

Agreed, those ATTO numbers are physically impossible. ATTO's wrong.

Hey, by golly, the ATTO numbers are what they are. See for yourself (per attachment on my first post).

Think about it for a second... 2 motherboard SATA III 6 GBs ports in RAID 0(running at 5 GBs per port as shown in BIOS post message on Marvel 91XX controller) coupled with 2 SATA III 6 GBs FORCE GT SSD's. Don't see any theoretical impossibility when I do the math.

Bottom line: My system is ROCK SOLID & lightning fast with the FORCE GT's compared to 2 each Corsair 120 GB FORCE SATA II SSD's that I used peviously. Together, in RAID 0, the System is completely stable...Not one single BSOD of freeze/crash in two months (since August 14, 2011).

Just thought I'd share what has worked amazingly well for me and has been absolutely trouble free. Perhaps someone else will be able to replicate the process and see what numbers ATTO gives on another system. Best of luck to all.

I'd appreciate hearing if this cloning technique I outlined (in my first post) benefitted anyone else. Again, "It worked for me!!"

Think about it for a second... 2 motherboard SATA III 6 GBs ports in RAID 0(running at 5 GBs per port as shown in BIOS post message on Marvel 91XX controller) coupled with 2 SATA III 6 GBs FORCE GT SSD's. Don't see any theoretical impossibility when I do the math.

My guess is that it's an older version of ATTO. Your score is impossible. Look at the spex of the SSDs themselves. In a perfect world with no overhead of the OS on the RAID array, your maximum theoretical limit is 2 x the speed of a single drive.

Greetings Yellowbeard...

Thank you for your thoughts.

I used ATTO v 2.46 downloaded from the web link at the top left of this forum.

Be ATTO write or wrong, doesn't matter to me. My system is wayyyy faster than it was on the Corsair 120 GB FORCE SATA II drives (also in RAID 0) on the same hardware setup. Feel free to review my system specs.

Even if ATTO is wrong, my system runs VERY FAST & happily without a single hiccup. I'll take stable and fast any day. I've just seen so many other people posting problems, I thought it would be good to share a success story.

Cheers!

Your math is wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbit

First, it's Gb, not GB. 1 Gb = 125 MB (or 0.125 GB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#SATA_revision_3.0_.28SATA_6_Gbit.2Fs.29

So 12 Gb (shotgunning 2 SATA III ports) = 1.5 GB. And that's the physical max before any overhead. ATTO's showing more than double that theoretical number.

Your math is wrong :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gbit

First, it's Gb, not GB. 1 Gb = 125 MB (or 0.125 GB).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata#SATA_revision_3.0_.28SATA_6_Gbit.2Fs.29

So 12 Gb (shotgunning 2 SATA III ports) = 1.5 GB. And that's the physical max before any overhead. ATTO's showing more than double that theoretical number.

Well, no need to debate the math. Techno lesson appreciated. THX

What's really important is that I found the "sweet spot" and no BSOD or any problems...NONE... NADA... FAST, STABLE, FAULT FREE going on 2 months.

Just sharing a good result for the benefit of others to what so many folks have been having trouble with.

Archived