Corsair Community

Force 3 120 GB Cache Refresh

myCompuPro

New to SSDs. 120GB Sata3 drives performs fine, BUT it periodically freezes Win 7 Pro system while it fully re-scans drive to presumably refresh it cache?? This is an annoying activity as it totally stops user interface. Not an acceptable activity. Have disabled Windows Search, Diskeeper 2011 and the issue continues to interrup normal usage.

What is the problem?? Using it on ThinkPad T61 Laptop.

Thanks for feedback.

• 4 months later...
SSD 120GB stops to read entire Disk too often, (clearing cache??), negatively impacting performance. Did not do this when i first got drive. 54GB still Free. Would like to find out how to fix without having to get into the complicated Firmaware update process which frankly i don't quite understand. If unable to fix in simpler manner want to return drive and go with an Intel SSD. Running it on Thinkpad T61, Win 7 Pro 32 bit, 3GB RAM. Thanks.

Like Toasted said, just run the firmware update tool (right click run as admin as per the instructions) and it will tell you what version your firmware is. Why do you think it's reading the entire disk? Also, I don't know of a store that has a 5 month return policy, so you wouldn't be able to return it, but you could always get an RMA.

SSD 120GB stops to read entire Disk too often, (clearing cache??), negatively impacting performance...

Where did you hear about a SSD doing that? That doesn't exist. You are describing a freeze of a SSD, which can be seen when the drive activity light stays on constantly and the PC otherwise does not function, which you may have interpreted as the drive reading the entire disk.

When SSDs have issues, freezing is a common one. The firmware update might fix this issue. The firmware is printed on the label of the SSD. There are many programs that will display any drives firmware.

Archived