Corsair Community

HX650W SLi Questions

wkhtl

This PSU says its SLi ready and it has the connectors to do so, but what could I really do with it?

I have a PNY GTX 560 Ti OC2 and havent been able to find the TDP for it...I found a review that says the reference model is around 170W and he estimated that this card ran around 180ish, but then I look at the Geeks list posted in the stickies and it says an OC'd card like this is more like 260...which seems like a pretty large difference in the review.

Right now I have running:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen 3

i5 2500K stock (stock cooler)

2x4GB DDR 3 1600 1.5v

3 120mm case fans (the stock ones in the Corsair 400R)

2 SATA HDDs

1 SATA optical drive

Is there any chance I could run a second GPU off this PSU with this setup or a similar one (maybe a couple more fans and an upgraded cooler) or would I need to upgrade my PSU by a few hundred watts to be safe?

Yeah I read that which is why I posted this thread.

I dont have a TX 650 I have an HX650W...while they seem to have the same specs the HX is quite a bit more expensive and is also rated as SLI ready and has 4 PCIE connectors while the TX isnt and only has 2

Yeah I read that which is why I posted this thread.

I dont have a TX 650 I have an HX650W...while they seem to have the same specs the HX is quite a bit more expensive and is also rated as SLI ready and has 4 PCIE connectors while the TX isnt and only has 2

Sorry about that. It was just a typo. But it still may be too small. If your card is going t draw the 230w then that 460w in sli. That just doe not leave much head room .

You can try it. The worst that could happen is that the PSU wont provide enough power and it would shut down. Then you know for sure you would need to upgrade.

..Power consumption of the two GPUs consume roughly 300 Watt, add to that the rest of your system (processor, chipset peripherals) at say 200 watt and you'll find yourself in the 500 Watt power consumption region. If you plan to overclock CPU and GPUs, then make sure you add another 200W on your PSU requirements. Keep that in mind okay? This is the extreme high-end arena, it never has been any different. It's just that over the past years we all have become much more critical about this topic.

Review done by guru3d

Archived