Corsair Community

Looking for additional ram for a 5 year old build

Coolmeadow

Old computer has an Intel D945GNTL motherboard, with an Intel Pentium D 840 CPU. I have this memory kit TWIN2X1024-5400C. Looking for 2 more gigs but can't find this memory anymore. Does Corsair have anything that will work? Do I need to replace this with 4 gigs of another Corsair model? The current memory says it is DDR2-675, I can find 667 in different brands. If a Corsair option is no longer available, will this other brand work with the Corsair since it is slightly different speed? Thanks! Jim.

note: This is my wife's business computer. No gaming, mostly correspondence and music notation.

I did that before posting... doesn't show any Inter motherboards at all. :confused: Thought that was weird. MB specs only show to 667. Not sure why the original Corsair shows to be 675. Misprint? Can't find it or reference to it on the Corsair products page at all. Any other ideas? Thanks! Jim.

edit. I stand corrected. I must have used the top and bottom searches, and not the middle one by manufacturer name. That did pop up some possibilities, but the only ones with the same timing are c4200. The current memory is c5400. The others are c5300 or c6400 with different timings (latency) ie: 5-5-5-15 instead of the 4-4-4-12 that the existing memory has. Which is part of my original question, can these be mixed? Thanks again! Jim.

Oh, and I just followed your links to the memory information in you signature. Very good reading! So now I'll just change out the current memory for 2 of the 2x1 1024 kits, since a single 4x1 kit does not seem to be available. (MB is limited to 4 gb, even though there are 4 slots. Unless you know of a bios revision...looked through them and didn't see anything. Guess a 2x2 kit would work the same, and be easier on the memory controller?) Jim.

Man , I'm so full of questions. Keep reading and a new one pops up. In your original post, you recommended a 800hz unit. Will that work on a MB that shows to only go up to 667? Does that mean that the chips will work up to 800 hz, but will still work fine at 667? If so, I'd rather have the XMS sticks than the value select. Thanks again!! Jim.

Archived