Corsair Community

CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 not working on new AMD 990X ?

bastic

I have CMX8GX3M2A2000C9.

Ive upgraded my MOBO to Asus M5A99X EVO AMD 990X and it just doesn't work...

this mobo has a function to 'tune' RAM but even this doesn't help...

RAM is fine (gave it to a friend and works with him fine and went through MEMtest as well)

would all of this mean those sticks are incompatible with this MOBO/chipset ??

any ideas what can I do ? apart from selling and getting new ones ?:(

Thanks

Did you try the modules one at a time and try resetting your MB BIOS?

But the fact they work in your friends system suggest its not the memory.

yes I have tried them one by one.

MOBO is brand new thats why the title : new AMD 990X

My mate is on Intel system.

Never had an issue with compatibility .... am running on old sticks now

All 990X boards are brand new.

Did you reset the BIOS and do you have the most recent BIOS version?

yes and yes...

am expecting RAM to be back with me by end of the week..will give it a go again...idea is to send MOBO back if RAM still doesnt work and go for Intel setup...maybe it will work on Intel platform...

ok,

managed to get it up and running....have no idea why it wasnt working earlier :confused::confused:

I still will need to change it as its a waste of 2000MHz RAM if I can get it running on 1600MHz only...1866 should be fine but 2000 wont run on it...

Still getting used to UEFI BIOS and if I get more time, I will try to overclock PC and make RAM go faster...

so if anyone is thinking of getting this or any other RAM that runs at 2000MHz, its only a waste of money...

with what timings do your RAM run ? (with no overclock of-course - i believe they run at 1866MHz on this MB, right ?)

does the MB see the dual-channel feature ?

have you ran the memtest on them or other RAM test to see if their performance is up to it's name ?

i kind of want to buy a set too for the same MB so, if you can tell me, do they work as they should or not ?

with what timings do your RAM run ? (with no overclock of-course - i believe they run at 1866MHz on this MB, right ?)

does the MB see the dual-channel feature ?

have you ran the memtest on them or other RAM test to see if their performance is up to it's name ?

i kind of want to buy a set too for the same MB so, if you can tell me, do they work as they should or not ?

I have them running on 1600...I think for 1866 you would need to adjust FSB/H etc...so basically over-clock CPU so it would made ram go faster...

But as I said, I still haven't mastered new BIOS

at the moment it on 9-10-90-27 2T so not brilliant as those are settings for 2000MHz...

I have no 1866 RAM at hand so cant tell if 1866 would go straight on 1866....

On everything I have seen pre-Bulldozer, AMD CPUs for people using air and water cooling seem to have a "sweet spot" at or about 1600. 1600 with the lowest latencies you can tune with your memory will likely give you the best performance and stability. 1600 at 6-6-6, or 7-7-7- or 8-8-8- or some variation close to that should be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I own a MSI 990FXA series with a Phenom II x4 965 and have you checked voltage specs for you RAM? I know higher frequencies get tricky with timing and voltage but you should be able to get a 9-9-9-27 maybe lower latency at 1866 with voltage set to 1.5-1.65. You will have to try each setting out until it is stable and you can go above 1.65 but weary if you exced 1.7 because the RAM can fry up. It took me a little tweaking with my patriot RAM but got 1600 at 8-8-8-24 at around 1.53 setting (my RAM is rated 9-9-9-24 at 1.65v) Run prime95 tests to check stability.

Another trick is the hyper transport speed. This has been a problem of stability for me if not adjusted for overclocked CPU with RAM. here is the equation to use to get a general setting for the speed

CPU Ghz speed(3900Mhz is mine but remove one 0 or last digit to get accurate rating so would 390) x 2(790) x 3.15(2,457) adjust accordingly to your rates and settings

so my bus speed should be in the ball park of 2400mhz-2500mhz and remember most 990 boards are rated for 3100mhz because of the Bulldozer support.

Let me know how it goes because I am getting this exact RAM for my system after Christmas.

Also the Phenom II 965 is a beast of a quad core because is actually designed to run at 3.4Ghz at 1.35v 125w and I am getting 3.9Ghz at a 1.44v 140w which is a really awesome Thermal Design Package or TDP and keeps my Idle temps around 32C and full load at 45-49C with a decent size heatsink. Even better the new bulldozers are set to do the same at lower wattage like 95w for the 6 core and 125w for the 8 cores so you can crank the crap out of them for awesome overclocking and breaking 4ghz with air cooling and maybe 5 ghz with good water cooling.

Archived