Corsair Community

H100 poor performance

Tiipp

Just doing some 100% load tests and im getting in the mid 80's with the pump on high. I have a 2600k @ 4.7 103x46 1.37v and these temps have got me concerned as i have seen much much lower. Im running 4 Akasa Apache Black 120mm fans which are plugged into the cpu header on the motherboard running at full speed. Even when i lower the clock speed to around 4.4 i still get high 70's also it seems that both pipes too and from the radiator are very hot as is only one end of the radiator is this normal. I have even removed the Dow Corning TIM and replaced it with some Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra but that made no difference please can anyone help me.

Can you verify the speed of your pump, it should be ~2000 RPM. The pump speed is constant, but the fan speeds change as you know. You need to have both the molex and three pin fan-type connector connected. Have you ever used the standard Corsair fans, they are very good and designed for use with a radiator. What is your idle temp?

It's also possible that the water block is not mounted correctly, due to capacitors, etc, being in the way. Did the thermal paste imprint look good when you removed it? I get better temps than you mentioned when running Prime95, using a H60 on a i7-2600k at 4.6GHz, so something is not right.

Yea the pump is running full speed checked in bios, i have the molex and three pin block attached to motherboard. There are no capacitors touching im using a Asus P8Z68-V Pro board and its abit hard to tell with this liquid ultra will try with some MX-2 i have lying around.

Here's how i have it setup, excuse the wires not done and cable management yet

Side panel is always off till i get the jigsaw out to cut the section for the radiator to breath

IMG_2095.JPG.d8a6cb7698bc3d1d8bb3953e4da66742.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG.4d2425325b5de4f0982165d6d8b719f1.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG.724f3dbf5c38bca18e2b9eea7fc42a66.JPG

Just a update, totally stripped pc down removing motherboard and noticed the screw in bolts that go into that backplate were wobbly and when fully tightened so i added some small washers and everything is really tight now. i have now put everything back together and im stress testing again while i type this. The temps have dropped only by a few degrees celsius into the high 70's but i belive this is still not normal. Is it normal for one end of the radiator to be very hot yet the other end cool?

... Is it normal for one end of the radiator to be very hot yet the other end cool?

Basically, it is normal to have a temp difference between one side of the radiator and the other. The radiators are basically split down the middle in the manner that the liquid flows through them. The liquid coming from the water block to the radiator should be warm, particularly when stress testing, but won't be very warm when the CPU is at idle. So the inlet side of the radiator should be warm. Once the liquid is in the radiator, the heat it contains is removed and it flows to the outlet. At the outlet the liquid should be cooler, otherwise the radiator system is not working. So the inlet side of the radiator is warmer than the outlet side, totally normal.

If the pump was not working I suppose heat would eventually travel by itself through the liquid in the tube to the radiator inlet, but that would take a while and the CPU would have shut down from overheating long before that, IMO.

Archived