Corsair Community

H50 meet Indigo Xtreme TIM

Hondabuff

So I finished up my swap out of my old MB and replaced it with a Classified 3, i7 960, 12Gb of Corsair Dominator GT 1867Mhz ram. I kept the old Corsair H50 with the push pull set up and Artic Silver 5. A quick over clock up to 3.8 and the idle temps where 39-41 and load with Intel burn test was 72-75 Kinda what i was expecting. So Like everyone else, I started to look for either a full loop or a H100. Then I ran across Indigo Xtremes web site and thought what the heck its only $27 shipped. Small cost compared to the whole build.

So i followed the directions and did the reflow but it didnt follow the curve on the provided on the paper that comes with it. It sat at 99*C for 6 minutes and had me a little worried so I turned on the pump and whated the numbers come back down to normal. Slapped the case back together and set the overclock and fired it back up. Checked Real Temp and the Temps showed 37-31-38-31. About a 2 degree diff on cores 1-3 but 8*C on 2-4. I thought for sure something was up so I shut it down and redid the whole process over again. When i pulled the pump, I was blown away how good the IX covers the cpu and water block. The writing on the cpu shows up on the IX when it peels off. Looks like a piece of Aluminum foil. The water block side had the grain of the copper imprinted into it. So it must have reflowed correctly. So i did the reflow again and waited 8 minutes and the temp spiked up to 99* and sat there and slowly came down to about 90* but I never saw the big dip like the directions say it should.

Fired it back up and the Temps where 38-35-38-34 on idle. No Im not sure if it worked or not. Fired up Burn Test and and watched the Temps. 60-57-59-58...WOW is all I can say. Either the AS5 was junk or the IX makes the H50 perform like a full blown water loop. If I didnt see it with my own eyes, I would never beleave that it made that big of a difference under load with the H50. 12-15* drop under load. I have seen these kinda temps on a lapped H50 and some TX-1 before so the IX must really get into all the imperfections on the water block. Good stuff and two thumbs up from me. Corsair set the benchmark with the H50 and paired up with IX rivals a full water loop system.

Nice temps. Note that Indigo says it's not compatible with the H50:

http://indigo-xtreme.com/docs/ixheatsinkcompatibilityapplicationnote.pdf

Heat sinks/waterblocks with no spring loading such as the Corsair h50:

Spring clamping mechanisms (compression, clip springs, etc) are required to maintain pressure (on Indigo Xtreme) as bondline thins out during reflow.

Thanks for the info Hondabuff.

Wired, it's good that you noticed that IX is not compatible with the H50. Wouldn't this also apply to the H40, H70, and H70 Core, since they use the same type of water block mounting system?

There is also an Application Note when using IX with the H60:

http://www.indigo-xtreme.com/docs/IX%20ECO2%20&%20H60%20Application%20Note110501.pdf

All that needs to be done for a H60 is to re-tighten the mounting screws, since IX becomes thinner once it has "reflowed" during the burn-in portion of it's installation. I imagine this would apply to the H80 and H100 as well.

IMO, IX is clearly not for the first time PC builder, experience mounting CPU coolers is really a necessity. Also, the burn-in process is a bit scary, but as the manufacture states, most CPUs should shut down if they overheat. I thought I read in a thread here that IX was reusable, but it is clearly stated that it is not.

If ever a product needed it's instructions read (they all do!) this one does, this isn't a typical TIM at all.

I thought I read in a thread here that IX was reusable, but it is clearly stated that it is not.

This i think is it's downfall. Atleast from my testing with it. If you happen to screw up the reflow process it's roughly 10 bucks down the drain. That can get pretty expensive compared to regular TIM and all for just a couple of degrees difference.

Nice temps. Note that Indigo says it's not compatible with the H50:

http://indigo-xtreme.com/docs/ixheatsinkcompatibilityapplicationnote.pdf

I bet that is why my core 2 and 4 have better temps. A good twist of the screws of the bottom of the water block is probably what it needs during reflow. Since the TIM is kinda hard like solder when you first apply it. Either way, IX is still beating my old Artic Silver 5 by a long shot.

Archived