Corsair Community

So finally it happened to me as well (BSOD F4)

FoLmEr

Yeah, it did.

Partially disappearing applications, unloading of explorer shell and finally BSOD F4. My Force GT 120 (FW v1.3) has been working without a glitch for ~4 weeks until today.

What I was doing:

I had Chrome open w/ ~15 tabs, nothing out of the ordinary

I had uTorrent open, seeding a few torrents

I was running the BOINC client as the only 'new' thing

I was runing a relatively untested 4.7GHz overclock at an offset voltage, RAM at default (1333, 9-9-9-24-1T)

Now, what I can say about my system in the moment of failure is that it had a very weird load going. It seems configuring BOINC client use 60% CPU time across all 8 threads makes the load behave erratic, i.e. going from 0% to 100% load with a frequency of .5 seconds, tossing vcore around like mad.

The posts I've read say that the issue occurs out of the blue after a few weeks and stays from thereon out. I fear this is the point I'm at now, where something might have broken physically in the disk and any testing potentially has become irrelevant.

The proactive things I've done to prevent this is:

Clear CMOS before attaching the drive

Run WEI after bootup followed by a reboot

High Performance power plan

Things I haven't done:

Updated the firmware to v1.3.2

LPM fix

I didn't do a secure erase before image restoration (the drive was brand new)

All the other voodoo tricks.

Other info:

MEI installed as normal

IRST 10.6.0.1002

AHCI

OROM 10.6.0.1091

Intel SATA III port0

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and possibly come up with a solution.

... or die trying.

Got another SF related crash tonight.

I wasn't at the computer when it happened, but it looked like a very low resolution center piece of my desktop and it was frozen. No visible icons and a very large and pixelated cursor (~twice the size) in the lower left region of the screen - my guess is that the graphic drivers unloaded making it look like that and froze very shortly after. Full power cycle required afterwards to detect the drive in BIOS.

Funny how it just worked for ~4 weeks and then starts producing regular crashes. The only thing I can relate this to is the increasing levels of file fragmentation, possibly in conjunction with a TRIM that makes the drive fail. Ah well, it's only speculation on my part.

I'll try flashing the firmware tomorrow as it seems the problem is here to stay.

What would be the recommended fix AFTER the firmware flash if it proves ineffective?

Here's a good read btw; it's the highly knowledgeable and resourceful guys from the NAND endurance thread discussing the SF 'perculiarities': http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?275704-SandForce-quot-SF-22XX-quot-issues-and-workarounds

Firmware updated. Here's the procedure I used:

The Corsair instructions for updating from Windows with their application were spot on. Props to them.

-then-

Shut down

Remove battery

Wait ~10 mins

Load Optimized defaults, reboot

Configure BIOS, reboot

Windows found new disk and installed driver, reboot

Uninstalled the old hidden inactive ForceGT driver in device manager, Run WEI, reboot

Wait for the magic to happen :)

Archived