Corsair Community

Firmware update for GTR Survivor 64 GB failure

Rasputin1309

I've had a 32g corsair flash drive fail and am now understandably concerned about the viability of my 64g survivor. Having tried the advertised "firmware update" the response I got was that this would not work - getting a "Urescue does not recognise my product" - or words to that effect. It is highly unsatisfactory that corsair sells products with a known problem - and contrary to UK law and almost as bad that there seems to be no reliable fix. Any help to remedy this problem, (which is contrary to the Sale of Goods Act which states all products must be of satisfactory quality), would be much appreciated

:mad:

I believe you can get that message if it already has the firmware update.

Hi - does that mean it was manufactured after the firmware was updated and therefore I do not need to do it? If so then why might I be getting the kinds of problems that others seem to describe such as it sometimes being almost impossible to eject from my laptop or any other PC I use it on, sometimes it is not recognised by the PC/laptop usb port etc.

These drives are rather expensive and this one is providing me with no confidence that it is not going to fail completely - as my previous 32g one did. Currently when this one fails - as it surely will - there is not a chance in the world that I will ever buy another corsair product.

I've just tried to run the official firmware updater for the 32GB Flash Voyager GTR and it says "URescue does not support this device. Please contact the manufacturer"

Any reason this may be happening?

:confused::confused:

You drive is not using the same configuration and does not need this update.

With all due respect, I do think there should be a mention, in the pinned topic, to the fact that there are newer 32 and 64 GB GTRs that use a different controller and don't need the update, *and* that, for those, the updater throws that very unhelpful message "URescue does not support this device. Please contact the manufacturer", so that those users who receive that message will know they've nothing to worry about... :):

To me it looks like this thread refers to the same problem as the quoted posts above.

In a nutshell: there are two types of GTRs, of which the older one needs the update and is recognized by the updater program, while the newer one is not recognized by the updater program (but that's OK, because it doesn't actually need the firmware update). HTH.

To me it looks like this thread refers to the same problem as the quoted posts above.

In a nutshell: there are two types of GTRs, of which the older one needs the update and is recognized by the updater program, while the newer one is not recognized by the updater program (but that's OK, because it doesn't actually need the firmware update). HTH.

That being the case why is my flash drive so unreliable - always taking forever to eject from my laptop or PC and sometimes not being recognised by any computer I may use it in?

This series of USB drive has been very popular because of its performance and its not uncommon to see some have problems with it because of the Volume sold (More than 100K per month).

Our return rate on the drive is less than 1/2 of 1% so I dont see any issue other than some who may as stated previously have a failing drive.

As a side note we do test all returned drives and look at the failures to see what may have caused the failure and if there is anything that can be done on our side to prevent them in the future.

We do this on every product that we manufacture as I am sure most manufacturers do or should do.

with respect RAM GUY that is a rather blase attitude which is completely unhelpful to the poor customer who is being mistreated by your company. The obligation is to sell drives that are of satisfactory quality - with the known issues, (and a cursory trawl through google reveals many such complaints), and Corsair is patently failing to do this. I hope that you lose many many customers because of this - you have certainly lost me. I have an expensive 64g drive that I have no confidence in, I have already lost 1 32 gig drive and my 64gig one is going the same way - shame on Corsair for producing this kind of quality product.

So you're unhappy that your drive has issue. Understandable. Look at it from the other side. 99.5% of drives aren't being returned, and 0.5% are. Note that RETURNED does not mean that they have issues, just that someone wanted a replacement (typically some people just don't want to troubleshoot and ask for a replacement). Considering that the industry standard is higher than that for general returns, they're doing better than most.

You currently have no issues with your 64 GB drive, correct?

So you're unhappy that your drive has issue. Understandable. Look at it from the other side. 99.5% of drives aren't being returned, and 0.5% are. Note that RETURNED does not mean that they have issues, just that someone wanted a replacement (typically some people just don't want to troubleshoot and ask for a replacement). Considering that the industry standard is higher than that for general returns, they're doing better than most.

You currently have no issues with your 64 GB drive, correct?

I do have issues with my 64 gb drive - at times it is almost impossible to eject from my laptop or my desktop or my work computer, (getting the eternal flashing blue light) - sometimes any one of those computers fails to recognise the drive. These are exactly the same problems I had with my 32gb drive prior to total failure of that one - hence my concern that this current one will soon fail. I take your point about 99.5% of drives not being returned, however that does not mean that 99.5% of drives are problem free - for example the last drive I had I did not return it and I suspect that many are in my position, they put one failure down to bad luck and do not seek remedy from Corsair. When my current drive fails I will not return it but I will vote with my feet/pocket and never buy another Corsair product. So your figure of 0.5% return rates is flawed at best. And even if it was a flawless figure it is still simply not good enough. The obligation is on the retailer to sell products of satisfactory quality - Corsair is failing to do this, and arguably knowingly failing to do so which makes it even worse

Is your opinion that no drive should fail and that none should ever have to be returned?

It doesn't matter what my opinion is, the law states that if a product develops a fault within the first 6 months of purchase then it is assumed that the fault was in the product when it was sold and it is up to the retailer to prove otherwise. Actually my remedy is with the retailer, (in this instance Amazon), as it is with them I have my contract. However, this is clearly a problem that others have had so I'm not going to pursue it with Amazon when the fault is with Corsair, (Amazon can legitimately pursue Corsair if they end up having to compensate me and others). This is the legal position throughout Europe, (sorry don't know what it is in the USA). My solution is just to complain on this forum so that others can see that they are not alone in their own problems, (I will also provide feedback on Amazon), and to never buy another product made by Corsair.

As for my own personal feelings. I've had 2 of the large capacity Survivor flash drives and a few of the rubber encased ones before those. I was happy with the rubber encased ones, (other than the cap always coming loose), but the first survivor series one failed and now this second one is going to fail too - so I'm currently on 50% failure rate shortly to become 100% failure rate so you can guess what my feelings are and I suspect the failure rates of these drives is far higher than the 0.5% return rates seem to suggest. What percentage failure rate would you suggest is unacceptable 1%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50% - you tell me?

It has a 10 year warranty, so I fail to see what UK laws have to do with anything.

You ask for an RMA, you get an RMA. Pretty simple.

Well the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. I much prefer to go down the legal route rather than worry about warranties as the law is typically far clearer than most warranties. UK laws have everything to do with it as the Sale of Goods Act regulates all selling of this kind and the law says that goods have to be of satisfactory quality and if a fault develops within the first six months blah blah see above ... so as I said, the law has everything to do with it. As for RMA - it is not much use if the drive has failed causing loss of data, (I am thankful mine is backed up) - the whole point about such drives is that you can carry your data securely and in full confidence that the drive will not fail - when it does fail the drive has failed to do its job and no amount of RMA is of any use to you when your drive has failed - particularly if any replacement is also likely to fail.

Buy one and it fails - bad luck and give them another chance.

Buy two and they fail - poor product, take my custom elsewhere

Pretty simple.

So are you saying that even though you have a legal position and right to have it replaced (and/or refunded?) through Amazon.co.uk (minor assumption on the UK part there) by UK law, you're choosing not to?

Are you also saying you're not going to RMA it?

Quite honestly that's confusing. Who wouldn't want to have it replaced and/or their money back?

So are you saying that even though you have a legal position and right to have it replaced (and/or refunded?) through Amazon.co.uk (minor assumption on the UK part there) by UK law, you're choosing not to?

Are you also saying you're not going to RMA it?

Quite honestly that's confusing. Who wouldn't want to have it replaced and/or their money back?

Yes I am saying that - I simply can't be bothered:

a) With getting any more corsair products

and

b) I don't blame Amazon for it so I'm not going to pursue a claim against them - despite the fact that the law in the UK and across Europe entitles me to and would find in my favour if it came to court

and yes I'm not going to RMA it because again I don't want anything more to do with a company that has supplied me with two defective large capacity USB drives

• Corsair Employees

I am really sorry that happened but I do not understand your point here, we have offered to replace it under warranty, but I am sure if you contact the reseller they would be happy to help you as well, either way it happens with any product. If you are trying to claim something else this is not the place for that, we are here to try and help you which I think we have to the best of our ability. For me if I purchase something and if it does not work properly I will take it back and or the manufacturer will make it right.

This is not the place for legal threats, I understand you are not happy but there are several ways to address this type of issue in place either with the reseller or with us directly.

I wish you the best of luck and apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. You can contact us from the CONTACT link on our main web site. You can install skype and call the toll free number for free if you wish. or send submit an RMA using the link on the left and let me know the case number and I will be happy to have our customer service contact you.

I am really sorry that happened but I do not understand your point here, we have offered to replace it under warranty, but I am sure if you contact the reseller they would be happy to help you as well, either way it happens with any product. If you are trying to claim something else this is not the place for that, we are here to try and help you which I think we have to the best of our ability. For me if I purchase something and if it does not work properly I will take it back and or the manufacturer will make it right.

This is not the place for legal threats, I understand you are not happy but there are several ways to address this type of issue in place either with the reseller or with us directly.

I wish you the best of luck and apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. You can contact us from the CONTACT link on our main web site. You can install skype and call the toll free number for free if you wish. or send submit an RMA using the link on the left and let me know the case number and I will be happy to have our customer service contact you.

As I've said earlier in the thread I have no intention of pursuing any legal action - there was never any "threat" of such. I think I've also made it clear that I'm not "trying to claim something else" - I'm not sure what that "something else" could possibly entail, (but whatever it is I'm not interested in it).

You may well be of the mind that if something fails that you have bought then you would want it replaced - typically that is my view too. However, in this instance as I am close to 100% failure rate with these products, I am in no way minded to trust corsair with my data again. I don't want a refund because it is more trouble than it is worth, I don't want a replacement product because I would not want to trust corsair products again. As I've said, I'm here to alert others to the fact that they are not alone when they have issues with their own products - I hope that is clear. Now my guess is that your audience has had enough of this conversation so perhaps you may wish to let it die and help out others that post here with their own issues?

Thanks again for your attention and thanks to Wired too for his.

Archived