Corsair Community

Asus p6td deluxe + cmx6gx3m3c1600c7

sen7a

A friend is experiencing some peculiar issues with his PC with random crashes and mem dropping down every now and then from 6GBs to 4. He has been running trouble-free from day 1 and for about 9 months but not any more.

I've taken a look at his system as it is very similar to mine but nothing I've tried resolved the issue. Among the things I've tried was updating the BIOS, various timings/voltages, clean install, etc.

At some point I noticed that it is mentioned in the memory finder page that this board is compatible with CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 from XMS3 revC-7-8-7-20*1.65v. As I'm at my wits' end here I would like to rule the rev out of the possible culprits. The only problem is that I can't find any mention of the mem's rev. My friend has retained the original package but there is no mention of his mem's rev there and the stickers on the DIMMs mention only the ver number which is 8.2a.

Any and all answers/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You can rule out the reviosion. It' wont make any difference. If the modules are listed as compatible any subsequent changes made to the modules will still meet the original spec.

This is actually a very common problem with the x58 chipset and can be caused by anything from incorrect pressure on your CPU cooler to needing more voltage to your memory controller.

. Have you looked here and tried these steps?

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82274

We've tested a lot @1066, 1333 and 1600 with timings varying from 7-8-7 to 10-10-10 but never exceeded 1.66 VDIMM and QPI/DRAM to VDIMM was always in the 0.01-0.05 range.

We have tested the DIMMs with memtest86+, individually, in pairs, and all 3 together, and every time they produced no errors.

3 weeks ago I lent my friend 3 of my DIMMs and since then his PC is running trouble-free again so we can rule out any problems with the board's DIMM slots or the CPU's memory controller.

If it just happens on your MB, it ight be worth pulling the CPU and check the socket for bent pins.

What exactly was the QPI voltage? It should be between 1.35v and 1.45v. If it's lower than that i would start with 1.35v at 1600mhz and test again.

Since his pc is running fine with my DIMMs I don't think that there's any point in checking the socket.

I guess you lost me there! If they run on your friends system but not on yours, why would that rule out the socket on your MB? If anything it would be one more reason to check them.

If raising the QPI does not help then i would contact the MB manufacturer and take this up with them as it seems the RAM is completely fine if it will run on another system trouble free.

I guess you lost me there! If they run on your friends system but not on yours, why would that rule out the socket on your MB? If anything it would be one more reason to check them.

As I've mentioned in my first post, my friend was the one in trouble. I lent him 3 of my DIMMs and his rig was working just fine with them. Since he was ok with my DIMMs, I saw no reason to check the socket on his board.

If raising the QPI does not help then i would contact the MB manufacturer and take this up with them as it seems the RAM is completely fine if it will run on another system trouble free.

Since his board was working fine with my DIMMs not it, or the processor, was to blame.

I found it puzzling though that his RAM would pass memtest and work on another system without any problems but not on his anymore.

Anyways, we dropped by the shop that my friend got his rig from and had a chat with the guys there. We asked them to have a look at the RAM modules and guess what, they found one of the DIMMs to be faulty. We exchanged the CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 for a brand-new CMZ6GX3M3A1600C8 Vengeance kit and all is well once again.

P.S.

Thanks for trying to help.

Archived