Corsair Community

CPSU-850TX Shuts off after 1 second then back on repeatedly

FSUDAL

Hello,

I built a new computer on Dec 2010 which has worked flawlessly until this morning. When I try to turn the computer on the power light comes on and the fan begins to spin for one split second. Then it shuts itself off. Without touching anything after about two seconds the computer turns itself back on but then the same thing happens (it shuts off after one second). This will happen in a loop until I turn the back power supply switch off. Once I turn the back switch on again nothing will happen until I press the front power button. Then the whole thing begins again. What do you think is the problem (power supply, motherboard)? I kinda think it's the power supply since the system does not even have a chance to try and boot. Also there are no beeps or sounds of any sort...

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town on vacation. I tried the paperclip test and the power supply seemed to work fine. Weird thing is that the problem continued after I put everything back together. I reseated everything and for now it seems to work fine. This happened once before and a few days later I had the same problem. Keeping my fingers crossed... Any ideas on what things could cause an intermittent problem like this?

Okay, really strange. My computer was running perfectly all day and then once it reboot after installing updates the problem occurred again (turn on for split second then off, three seconds later it repeats this cycle). I did the paper clip test again and noticed that the hard drive sounded like it powered up then down repeatedly; however, after putting back the main power to the motherboard everything started up again perfectly normal (I am on my computer now). Not sure what to do to pinpoint the problem at this point as the problem is intermittent. Does the power supply have a way to prevent itself from powering up after reboot if it is too warm? If so, why would the system just not start up after cooling down? So far it seems that I have to pull the main power, do the paperclip test and then plug the main power in again to get the computer to boot. This doesn't make any sense. Any ideas on how I can pinpoint the problem? Thanks again for the help.

Okay, I think I'm getting warmer... Problem occurred again. This time I just removed the main power supply connector and put it back on. This worked so I wiggled the wires a little and was able to replicate the problem. Upon further inspection of the wires (see pic) there appears to be a couple of wires that don't look too good. I would conclude that the culprit is the power supply. The wires for whatever reason got hot and loose causing the problems to occur. Would everyone agree with this or could something else be going on?

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=d5bcb8b2923e3a22&page=play&resid=D5BCB8B2923E3A22!455

redir.aspx?cid=d5bcb8b2923e3a22&page=play&resid=D5BCB8B2923E3A22!455

Okay, submitted RMA for a replacement.

What do you think caused the problem with the toasted wires? My system can't be overloading an 850 watt power supply? Maybe the wires at the connector are missing a few strands reducing the thickness of the wire causing it to heat up more than it should?

The company is closed today and I will give them a call on Monday to see if there is a way that they can send out a new one and then once I receive it I can send back the old one. This would save me time and I could also send the old one back in the new box (since I don't have the old box any longer). Does anyone know if they will do this?

Thanks again for the help.

What do you think caused the problem with the toasted wires? My system can't be overloading an 850 watt power supply? Maybe the wires at the connector are missing a few strands reducing the thickness of the wire causing it to heat up more than it should?

It could be about anything. A failing component in sid the PSU, a bad MB , a bad chasis ground...

I highly doubt it would be wires missing strands. That kinda stuff has to meet strict code standards. It's not totally uncommon for wires to burn at the 24 pin connector. We have seen it quite a few times here. I would definatly keep an eye on it once you get your new PSU. If it happens again , i would start looking at the MB as the culprit.

The company is closed today and I will give them a call on Monday to see if there is a way that they can send out a new one and then once I receive it I can send back the old one. This would save me time and I could also send the old one back in the new box (since I don't have the old box any longer). Does anyone know if they will do this?

Since you already submitted the RMA , you should have a number. Contact CS on monday with number and ask about an advanced RMA . A credit card will be require to secure the shipment and once they recieve the old PSU they will drop the amount they placed a hold on your credit card..

It does ot matter if you have the old box or not. Just pack it up securly and send JUST the PSU. You keep any cables , bags, ect.

Archived