Corsair Community

AX850 - Strange OC issues. Tested with two setups.

Cubemonkey

I've run in to an issue where my systems will not post, and I think the AX850 (or my install of it) is the issue.

Old system 7/2009 to 10/2011:

i7 920

EVGA X58 SLI LE mobo

6GB ******** Gold Ram

XFX 5870

AX850 bought over the summer.

HAF-X case

New system:

i5 2500k

ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 Mobo

3x 2GB 6950s

8GB ******** Sniper 1866mhz

AX850

HAF-X case

Regarding my old system, for awhile I had it OC'd to 3.9ghz. Last winter, I decided to run it stock (no need for OC). While it was running stock, I bought the AX850 and installed it. In September, I tried to OC it again and with even a small OC it wouldn't even post. I assumed that the chip or mobo was just dying. No other problems. Left it stock and decided to upgrade.

Fast forward to this week. New system runs fine all stock. Trifire 6950s are blazing. I start OCing the 2500k and get easily up to 4.3ghz. All mobo settings on auto. At 4.4ghz, it won't post. I've tried all sorts of settings after doing a ton of reading. No luck. If you're not familiar with it, a 4.3ghz max OC on a 2500k is extremely rare.

Since I have strange no-post issues on both chips, which I know OC very well, I suspect something is up with my AX850. Any way to test this?

If the 8-pin connector to the top of the mobo is somehow faulty, could that cause this issue?

If the eight pin mother board cable was not providing power to the board, it most likely would not POST period. I've heard of people using a four pin connector from the PS when the board has an eight pin connector, and the board would not POST.

It is important to have that cable in the correct modular connection on the PS, the PS connectors for video cards are not the same, opposite polarity (ground and hot swapped) and only three have +12V, rather than four on the mother board connector. The same goes for the cables, but I'm sure you have those correct.

Running three 6950's is quite a load on the +12V rail, so you could say not much left for the CPU when OC'd. If I can trust my hardware monitoring program, my i7-2600k at 4.6GHz is using ~110 Watts when running Prime95. I'm sure your CPU would not use more than that, they are both 95W TDP CPUs.

If your PS was stressing out, it would show signs of it and maybe even shut down. Is the fan running at high speed when you test your OC or when gaming? Have you checked the 12V rail reading with software to get some idea of where it is at?

Since I have strange no-post issues on both chips, which I know OC very well, I suspect something is up with my AX850. Any way to test this?

If the 8-pin connector to the top of the mobo is somehow faulty, could that cause this issue?

The only real way to test that would be to use a multi-meter and measure the voltage at the 8pin connector. Make sure you hit all 4 hot wires and see if you are getting a constant voltage.

You can measure it at stock and with your OC.

Archived