Corsair Community

I need expert advice

jojesa

Good Day

I have a P128 SSD (VBM19C1Q) and it was acting sluggish when saving files or installing applications.

I performed tests and this is the result I got 4 days ago.

On AS SSD Bench I got similar results but it shows 104122 K - BAD :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/jojesa/system/test-1.jpg

I felt the drive was performing a little better and I did another test today and I got this result.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/jojesa/system/test-2.jpg

My questions:

Since the drive improved on its own, should I wait for the SSD drive to go back to is like new state for itself? Is the drive capable of doing that?

Should I follow one of the guides to restore SSD performance to its original condition?

This is how the drive was when new (17 months ago)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/jojesa/system/new.jpg

Your drive seems misaligned somehow, like AS SSD states.

Did you restore your windows install from an backup image/cloning by any chance?

I don't think a misaligned drive should be behaving badly one day and a bit better the other day. Sure you didn't have heavy disk activity while running atto?

Anyway, something's clearly wrong, and it would definitely be a good idea to try the performance restoring procedures listed in these forums. Before you do so, however, please describe what backup solution you're using if applicable.

Also, do you have TRIM enabled?

Your drive seems misaligned somehow, like AS SSD states.

Did you restore your windows install from an backup image/cloning by any chance?

I don't think a misaligned drive should be behaving badly one day and a bit better the other day. Sure you didn't have heavy disk activity while running atto?

Anyway, something's clearly wrong, and it would definitely be a good idea to try the performance restoring procedures listed in these forums. Before you do so, however, please describe what backup solution you're using if applicable.

Also, do you have TRIM enabled?

I restored Windows with Acronis when I first installed the SSD drive.

When I ran ATTO I disabled or stopped any programs (e.g. antivirus) that could interfere with the test. I also used AS and Crystal with similar results.

If I need to backup and restore I will be using Acronis 2011 Home

I checked and TRIM is enabled (DisableDeleteNotify = 0)

The symptom makes it seem almost like TRIM is not working or that the drive is almost full. If it was my drive, I'd do a secure erase (see our How To section or the guides you mentioned) and then a clean install of the OS.

Can I backup follow the guides then restore the data with Acronis instead of a clean install?

I prefer not to install all my software tittles again.

Personally I've never had any problems backing up w/ Acronis 2011. Performance and alignment have been flawless. I even backed up from a regular HDD which I believe should produce a misaligned drive IF backed up with a program which does not 'support' SSDs (like Acronis 2010).

As you're using 2011 I say go for it. If however the results don't get better I'd say you're left with the only option of a clean install.

Archived