Corsair Community

Booting the computer from SSD(F60) fails from time to time

tok_72

Hello,

I have boughts some time ago (almost a year) a Corsair SSD disk (F60), which until about a month ago I used as an additional disk on my system.

Recently, I decided to reinstall the whole thing, and I made the SSD disk the primary one, and put my O/S on it. Everything is really great as for boot-timing and for speed later when using the computer... unfortunately, approximately every 4th or 5th reboot of the computer, the O/S (XP/Pro SP3 32bit) does not load saying that it is corrupt (you can see some sample images of errors similar to the ones I get below - the images themself are from the internet). I quite easily fix the issue by running CHKDSK on the disk, and it repairs it, and the system works fine again, yet I am afraind, that one day this will not help, and I will be put in a situation, where I find my computer unusable.

Please let me know, if anyone had similar issues, and if yes, did you overcome it somehow?

Or maybe it's the SSD disk that is faulty, and I should try and get it fixed/replaced?

Best regards,

Tomek

http://i56.tinypic.com/28hdgyg.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/o01f14.jpg

Put your Windows XP Install CD and run the recovery console.

From memory,

At the start press 1

then it should ask you for an admin password. (If you don't have one then press enter, if you do type it in).

Once your in it will have this C:\Windows>

type this "cd system32" (No quotes")

then type expand "d:\i386\hal.dl_" (No quotes)

It may tell you to overwrite it just press Y.

Then remove your the Install CD and restart.

Its been a while since i touched Windows XP so give that a try.

Put your Windows XP Install CD and run the recovery console.

From memory,

At the start press 1

then it should ask you for an admin password. (If you don't have one then press enter, if you do type it in).

Once your in it will have this C:\Windows>

type this "cd system32" (No quotes")

then type expand "d:\i386\hal.dl_" (No quotes)

It may tell you to overwrite it just press Y.

Then remove your the Install CD and restart.

Its been a while since i touched Windows XP so give that a try.

Hi, and thanks for a quick reply, but this is not helpful...

As I already mentioned in my initial post, I am able to bring the disk back-to-shape by running CHKDSK (either from the Windows CD recovery console, as you suggest - but this takes over 2 minutes to get to, or by using a Mini-XP from a bootable CD (like Hiren's CD), or like I do right now - I created my own bootable CD, which boots to DOS, and I have a special version of CHKDSK that works under DOS - and this takes me only 15 seconds).

The REAL issue here is, that this situation happens repeatedly!

It's not always the hal.dll error... Sometimes it's the incorrect registries (missing "...\SYSTEM\CONFIG", etc.)...

CHKDSK fixes it by correcting the NTFS indexes (sometimes on 1, 2 or 3 files... sometimes on a number like 20-50!!!)

I tried cloning the disk back to a regular HDD to see if the issue was the O/S installation - but for a week I didn't get even one error... going back to the SSD disk, the errors appear again... so it rather points to the physical disk itself being the issue... yet I want to make sure of that, thus my post on this forum, and question, if it can be fixed by me somehow, or do I have to claim a request for replacement?

Try and Secure Erase it and re-install Windows. Then install Chipset drivers, IRST.

As for chipset drivers - I have the newest version already (but from nVidia as that is what my MB uses, so Intel drivers will probably do me no good...)

As for Secure-Erase - sure, I can try that. But in the meantime, maybe anyone else has some ideas?

Archived