Corsair Community

Force Series 3 120 GB performance not SATA 3

Goob982

Hello,

I currently have ASUS G73SW laptop.

I recently purchased a Corsair Force Series 3 120gb SSD. Have gone through about 3 different fresh installs. My drive seems to be performing only at SATA 2 speeds, 200 read 100 write according to AS SSD. I have tried the Intel RST drivers first with no SATA 3 performance. Formatted and reinstalled windows 7 and have been using the default MS ACHI drivers. Still only SATA 2 speeds.. also switched to the Intel Series 6 drivers and same performance. Bios is set to AHCI, i have tried the SSD in both bays. Cant seem to figure this out. HWinfo32 shows that the motherboard and SSD are capable of SATA 3 speeds. I have the most recent FW 1.32 for the drive. Besides the speed issues, everything else seems to be working perfectly, no BSOD, lockups, etc. Would just like to figure out how to get the correct speeds. Hopefully you guys can be of some help. Thanks

Please test with ATTO to see if you get the advertised performance.

The performance that you mention is more or less inline with what you should get. This review http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/corsair-force-series-gt-120gb-sata-3-ssd-review-as-ssd-benchmarks-and-anvil-storage-utility-beta/ compares the faster Force 3 GT to the basic Force 3 that you have.

you probably don't need sata3 for this drive in real world,like for example compressed game files,but it will probably cap sata/300 on loading windows or some compressable files,games are usually compressed in several big files and theese files show real performance of flash chips inside,that's around 200MB/s,test it with hd tune(with drive filled with windows and games)

here's my test with windows and world of warcraft(27GBs of not much compressable mpq files),some other programs,the pic with 7z in name is when i fill space with 2+4GB 7z compressed files from my intel gen2 80gb drive multiple times till almost full-it's about 20gigs(guess where they are located :D ),you can see free space(highly compressable for sure:) ) and third is intel alone(with some stuff and 7gigs of 7z)...

so there you have it,cake is a lie,500mb/s is only in benchmarks...sad thing is i thought today's drives are way faster,well,at least they are faster when writing,can't deny this,windows shuts down faster on corsair drive..

in any case,i would love to hear about compressed files speed from someone involved,if it's max for flash chips used,or if i can expect improvements in future firmware versions,or if 200MB/s is the ceiling

btw,this is on 1.3.2 fw,force 3 120gb drive on sata0,sata1 is intel(20GB full,over 1,5years old,2.8TB written)

corsair.jpg.f0f16d33a9f4017fe39ffe6b87a29a9f.jpg

corsair-7z.jpg.aae24b97973adb6b6ab9eac05340bc57.jpg

intel.jpg.ee797ca577984a5d712d690348c68dd9.jpg

i've edited my system specs and noticed(after downloading latest cpu-z :) ),that my chipset is the same,so you should be running sata3,go to intel,chipset-chipset software-rapid storage tech and download latest iata_enu(not f6 floppy),after reboot run it and in advanced read your speed...

edit:i'm connected to ven_8086&dev_1c03 sata controller

This post is a bit confusing...

Let me get this straight...

If we have a Force Series 3 SSD then the most we can expect is ~200MB/s

However if we have a Force Series 3 GT SSD then we will see ~450MB/s+

Is this correct?

FYI - Mine system has a Force Series 3 SSD firm 1.3 with a newer MoBo with a Z68 non-raid running AHCI and the most I've seen is ~200MB/s

you can expect a lot lower speeds when dealing with compressed data(even xlsx and documents from later offices are zip files),so in real world you will _not_ achieve declared 500MB/s speeds(at least force 3)

on the other hand,force GT series does have a different flash chips(a lot faster),but i can't provide any data,don't have any home,from looking around you could expect 20 or 30% more speed when writing,even more when reading

i purchased my force 3 120gb expecting those fast speeds(i really believed it)...so maybe next time:)

This post is a bit confusing...

Let me get this straight...

If we have a Force Series 3 SSD then the most we can expect is ~200MB/s

However if we have a Force Series 3 GT SSD then we will see ~450MB/s+

Is this correct?

FYI - Mine system has a Force Series 3 SSD firm 1.3 with a newer MoBo with a Z68 non-raid running AHCI and the most I've seen is ~200MB/s

??? Where are you getting all of those numbers from and from what tests?

??? Where are you getting all of those numbers from and from what tests?

Read the top of this post their is a URL leading to a review of the Force Series 3 vs. Series 3 GT

The review is right in line with the performance I am seeing on my PC, and other are too.

Yellowbeard - Care to comment on the performance? Is there anything I could be doing wrong or are is this expected?

Running all the standard preformance programs listed on this forum -

Force Series 3 SSD I'm seeing ~200MB/s

However as I understand it from this post if we have a Force Series 3 GT SSD then we will see ~450MB/s+

FYI - My system has a Force Series 3 SSD firm 1.3 with a newer MoBo with a Z68 non-raid running AHCI and the most I've seen is ~200MB/s also, with a brand new install of Window 7 x64

• 4 weeks later...

I'm experiencing the same issue with Force 3 delivering SATA 2 performance. I have a Dell M4600 with the inbuilt Samgung mSATA 120Gb SSD as the boot device, and Corsair Force 3 120Gb SSD as an additional drive. I have turned off Raid and turned on AHCI in the bios. (I've also tried IRST, and again SATA 2 performance).

Device Information

Disk on port 0

Port location: Internal

Size: 112 GB

Serial number: 11296501000006821833

Model: Corsair Force 3 SSD

Firmware: 1.2

System disk: No

Password protected: No

Disk data cache: Enabled

Native command queuing: Yes

SATA transfer rate: 6 Gb/s

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Disk on port 2

Port location: Internal

Size: 119 GB

Serial number: S0RWNYAB601322

Model: SAMSUNG SSD PM810 mSATA 128GB

Firmware: AXM18D1Q

System disk: Yes

Password protected: No

Disk data cache: Enabled

Native command queuing: Yes

SATA transfer rate: 3 Gb/s

Physical sector size: 512 Bytes

Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

When I run CrystalDiskMark3_0_1b, you can see the results for each of the SSD drives (attached). Samsung top, Corsair bottom. I was expecting the Force 3 to produce significantly better numbers than the Samsung. Or is CrystalDiskMark not a reasonable tool to use for the comparison?

Would it make a difference if I ran the Force 3 as the system drive?

Thoughts on why the Force 3 numbers are so low?

As a follow up I just ran ATTO Disk Benchmark, and the results now show the Force 3 having significantly better performance figures (500MB/sec +) than the Samsung SATA 2 (240MB/sec) (attached)...

What makes CrystalDiskMark give such a dramatically different result?

SamsungSSDvsForce3.thumb.png.d22cb40d080e93c44e894409158291eb.png

ATTO_Force3.png.69003dd1d096ded14c52ef4a69f9a654.png

ATTO_Samsung.png.8d71b4fdea87bac568212fbd20f57fb0.png

• 2 weeks later...
Yellowbeard -- Is this expected from the Force 3 SSD?

My system has a Force Series 3 SSD firm 1.3 with a newer MoBo with a Z68 non-raid running AHCI and the most I've seen is ~200MB/s also, with a brand new install of Window 7 x64

It is impossible to assist you without your complete system specifications that were requested when you registered. Please enter them into your dropdown menu.

Archived