Corsair Community

650D SLI Cooling

evan748

Hello,

I recently built a new(first) PC. I am extremely happy with it but am looking for ways to improve the cooling to the the top card in my SLI setup.

System specs:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Case

Corsair AX850 Gold Power Supply

Corsair Hydro Series H100 CPU Cooler

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Intel Core i5 2500K

ASUS Maximus IV Gene Z

ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Overclocked 1GB

ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II Overclocked 1GB

******** M4 SSD 128GB

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW

I have the 200mm intake and have set up the rear 120mm and the H100 radiator(120mm x 2) for exhaust. Mainly because dust is pretty bad where i live id rather not have unfiltered intake. My HDD and SSD are mounted at the very bottom and there is a big clear path straigh from the 200mm intake over the two GPUs.

CPU temp is not an issue nor is ambient case temp. Its just the top card as on the Maximus IV Gene Z Mobo they are VERY close together.

These are some tests i ran on The Witcher 2...

Ambient temp 18-19deg celcius

Case/H100 speed low

CPU:36-45

GPU1: 61

GPU2: 84 deg celcius

Case/H100 speed medium

CPU: 34-40

GPU2: 82 deg celcius

Case/H100 speed high

CPU: 33-40

GPU2: 82 deg celcius

It is cold weather atm and in summer the temps here are in the high 20s to mid 30s.

As you can see, at least in this cool weather there is minimal diffference between having the fans on low or high.

1. Would i be correct in assuming the top card is getting all the cool air it can use being so close to the second card) and thus a more powerful intake fan wont have much/any effect?

2. Am i missing something or is there not much reason to have my fans on high at least until i start overclocking etc?

3. Any advice on how to cool my SLI setup in an Obsidian 650D case would be appreciated

4. Lastly, assuming in summer my card runs under load at 85-90-95deg is this acceptable (if certainly not optimal).

Thanks.

- Evan -

• Corsair Employees
1. Would i be correct in assuming the top card is getting all the cool air it can use being so close to the second card) and thus a more powerful intake fan wont have much/any effect?

A: No With any SLI setup the primary card will do all of the work and run the hottest!

2. Am i missing something or is there not much reason to have my fans on high at least until i start overclocking etc?

A: Agreed and why we suggest using the medium setting for most users!

3. Any advice on how to cool my SLI setup in an Obsidian 650D case would be appreciated

A: There is no way to know that as it will vary with make of Video card and the MB you use, just try to do the best you can for organizing the cooling and you should not have any problems.

4. Lastly, assuming in summer my card runs under load at 85-90-95deg is this acceptable (if certainly not optimal).

A: Check with the Video card manufacturer but I would suggest running Air-Conditioning if the weather is that hot. Something will surely fail running a system in that warm of a climate.

Archived