Corsair Community

My IC7 and my XMS PC3700

PissWater

System specs: p4 2.4C OCed to 2.6 Abit IC7 ATI Radeon 9700 pro Audigy 2 WD 60GB HD Corsair XMS PC3700 Ive been having some problems every once and a while with my XMS 3700 and my abit IC7 board, where i cant get my computer to post with the PC3700 and need to put in another stick of slower memory to post and change the timings for my corsair stick to even post. Recently my friend was swapping parts with my computer to see what was wrong with his and two days after he did this my computer randomly shut down (he knocked out the wiring of 3 of my case fans and overheated my rig) so i started to freak out about what happened and started to mess with things myself. Now my PC isnt posting and ive seen this before so i swap it with my old 256 stick of PC2100 and get it to post and even start into windows (yay). I try to adjust my timings so that i can run my PC3700 again but when i do so and switch the sticks again i cant get my PC to post at all. The only time i was able to get my rig to post with the PC3700 in was when i also had the old PC2100 stick in and after it would post when it should have loaded windows a screen would come up saying some file was corrupted in my windows files (a couple of times I would still get a corrupted message after this but it would change which file was corrupted). I then went and took out the Corsair XMS stick and was able to get into windows with just the 256 stick.. This as you could imagine was very frustrating. I tried to swap pieces with my other friend to see if my corsair stick worked in his rig and to see if i could get mine to start with a higher quality ram so low and behold my computer starts up with his kingston hyper X PC3200 with no problem and his starts up with my corsair. But for some reason my computer is still running slow even with the kingston in.. I lag in CS (counterstrike, with default models and a low resolution) which should not happen in a game with such low system specs while he runs the game smoothly with just his 2nd stick of kingston pc3200 and high poly models. Later on he tries to use my corsair again but is having problems getting into windows and even gets the corrupt message a couple of times. This is very frustrating because with the lower quality ram i seem to have very few problems but with the pc3700 when i get it to work its great but every time it screws up i spend a couple of days trying to correct it. :confused:

I'd recommend that you download Memtest from: [url]http://www.memtest86.org[/url] and test the Corsair module the next time you succeed in getting the system to boot. Typically, doing the following, which I think you have been doing should work: 1) Install another module. 2) Set the memory timings to 2.5-3-3-8-2T and the memory voltage to 2.7V. 3) Save the changes and exit the BIOS. 4) Wait for the machine to POST. (Keep a floppy disk in the floppy drive to stop it from booting to the operating system, assuming the floppy disk drive is set before the hard disk in the boot order). 5) Shut down the machine. 6) Remove the current module. 7) Install the Corsair module. 8) Test with Memtest86. If it passes memtest, try updating the BIOS with the other module installed to see if maybe ABIT updated something in the BIOS. You may even want to do this regardless of the out come. If files were corrupted in Windows, they may not have been fixed properly and a repair or fresh install may be inorder.

• Corsair Employees
The suggested settings for XMS3700 would be Cass 3-4-4-8 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X Volts as well. I would suggest setting the timings manually and set any performance options to Auto and test the modules one at a time with the CPU set to it's default setting and lets make sure!

See the problem im having right now is that with whatever settings i use i cant even get my computer to post with the Corsair stick which is a pain in the ***. I used to have to put in the old module and and change timings to get the corsair to work and thats nothing new but now that it doesnt post at all even with the correct settings its starting to really bother me.. Im wondering if i should just take out the battery in my mobo to totally clear my Cmos and have my friend delete my HD on his computer to start over from scratch...

Clearing the CMOS can't hurt. As for doing a fresh install, this too would probably be for the best, but do it after you have the memory issue sorted out. It is possible that with all the swapping around that the module went bad with all the fiddling.

I filled out an RMA form and sent an email with an RMA form filled out but i was wondering because ive been having so many problems with the PC3700 and in the past when i used PC3500 with the same setup and used my friends PC3200 with no problems could i in any way be able to RMA for a slower ram say RMA my PC3700 for 3500?

Archived