Corsair Community

Shuttle SX58J3 - Recommended Memory for 16GB?

Shou

I recently purchased CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 (4x 4GB DDR3 12600) and installed them into my Shuttle SX58J3.

CPU-Z sees the SPD for the 4 chips but the BIOS only sees 2.

Using memtest, all 4 show up and test good.

Tried setting BIOS to normal and XMD profiles but no change in that the machine only sees 2 sticks.

Looked over at the Corsair recommended memory list and unfortunately this barebones setup is not listed.

Please advise. Is this set of RAM not compatible? Which Corsair 16GB set is recommended?

Your motherboard supports triple channel DDR3(specs here). Four sticks of ram won't help your system. If you want the extra ram, get bigger sticks of ram but you only need 3 and make sure they are the same. You can boot fine so the ram is definitely compatible with your system so that's not the problem.

Turn off your system, take out 1 stick of ram (slot 4 preferably), then boot back up and check to see if your bios recognizes all of them.

If not, take out your cmos battery for 30 seconds to a minute then put it back in, reboot and check bios with three installed.

Your motherboard supports triple channel DDR3(specs here). Four sticks of ram won't help your system. If you want the extra ram, get bigger sticks of ram but you only need 3 and make sure they are the same. You can boot fine so the ram is definitely compatible with your system so that's not the problem.

Turn off your system, take out 1 stick of ram (slot 4 preferably), then boot back up and check to see if your bios recognizes all of them.

If not, take out your cmos battery for 30 seconds to a minute then put it back in, reboot and check bios with three installed.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried to insert 3 sticks into just slots 1-3 but it only recognized 1 stick. Will try the battery tip.

I'm admittedly not very familiar with what exactly dual/triple channel is referring to when I read the documentation but looking at Shuttle's doc, if I put the 4th stick in slot 4, doesn't it run at a single channel rate? Otherwise, I'm not sure why there is a 4th slot?

Dual and triple channeling refer the technology that allows each memory module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. There are four slots because they are pairs and when you are setting up a dual channel set up, you want to use either 1-3 or 2-4 slots (color coded) for the best performance. Your system will run with 4, although some won't, but you aren't getting the benefits of having four sticks of ram in there.

Tried it with 3 sticks in slots 1-3. The BIOS only recognizes 4GB. Tried removing the CMOS battery and still no change.

Tried it with 3 sticks in slots 2-4 and the PC won't boot.

Tried it with 2 sticks in slots 1 & 4 and the BIOS will recognize 8GB which is the same result I got a year ago with a different set of Corsair sticks.

Tried it with 2 sticks in slots 1 & 2 and the BIOS only recognizes 4GB.

FYI, BIOS is updated to the latest version, 1.04.

This may sound stupid but its part of the process to eliminating each problem to find the real one and it has happened before, even to experienced PC builders but... Are you 100 percent absolutely sure you are running Win7 64 and you didn't by chance install a 32 bit version of it? Unlikely, i know but like I said it has happened.

How long did you run memtest? Before you go to bed set it up to test your ram over night. Like my last suggestion, its not likely to have a stick of ram fail after passing a short memtest but again, we need to make sure its absolutely not the ram that the problem.

Check msconfig, boot, advanced options.. Make sure "Maximum memory" isn't checked.

Try using 3 (identical sticks and in slots 1-2-3) sticks and changed them in and out of each memory slot until there are no more combinations and your bios still doesn't recognize it.

Did this happen after any update or has this been a problem from day 1? It's possible that a defective mobo could be the culprit but I don't want to jump to that conclusion before we eliminate all other possibilities.

This may sound stupid but its part of the process to eliminating each problem to find the real one and it has happened before, even to experienced PC builders but... Are you 100 percent absolutely sure you are running Win7 64 and you didn't by chance install a 32 bit version of it? Unlikely, i know but like I said it has happened.

How long did you run memtest? Before you go to bed set it up to test your ram over night. Like my last suggestion, its not likely to have a stick of ram fail after passing a short memtest but again, we need to make sure its absolutely not the ram that the problem.

Check msconfig, boot, advanced options.. Make sure "Maximum memory" isn't checked.

Try using 3 (identical sticks and in slots 1-2-3) sticks and changed them in and out of each memory slot until there are no more combinations and your bios still doesn't recognize it.

Did this happen after any update or has this been a problem from day 1? It's possible that a defective mobo could be the culprit but I don't want to jump to that conclusion before we eliminate all other possibilities.

It's definitely x64. If the BIOS isn't seeing more than 4 or 8 GB then Windows won't see it either.

Ran memtest overnight for 8 hours without any errors.

Tried all permutations and combinations of the 4 sticks. Slot 1 & 4 is the only time I get 8GB.

Pretty sure this has been happening since I got the Shuttle and the tought of the mobo being defective has crossed my mind. I called Shuttle in the past and they just say that these Corsairs are not on their tested list so no guarantees.

In CPU-Z, Memory tab, what does it say in "Channels #" when you boot your system with 3 sticks of ram?

There is another nice program I like its called Speccy. It gives you tons of information including temps, speeds and anything else you want to know about hardware, your OS, graphics, audio, networks, peripherals. Get into it and see if anything looks odd. Check to see what it says you ram is. It gives a real time results if you click on the little graph icon next to certain things.

In CPU-Z, Memory tab, what does it say in "Channels #" when you boot your system with 3 sticks of ram?

There is another nice program I like its called Speccy. It gives you tons of information including temps, speeds and anything else you want to know about hardware, your OS, graphics, audio, networks, peripherals. Get into it and see if anything looks odd. Check to see what it says you ram is. It gives a real time results if you click on the little graph icon next to certain things.

CPU-Z says Triple and sees 12GB but Windows and the BIOS still only see 4GB....

Even though I don't think its a compatibility issue, you can try getting Ram that is absolutely 100% approved for your mobo (manual or mobo manufacturer site should have a list) and buy it in a pack of 3 or make certain all 3 sticks are exactly the same.

Other than that, this could be a defective motherboard. Take 1 stick of ram and try booting the computer with it in each slot. Meaning, boot with it in slot 1 - if its ok, go to next slot, etc etc.

Oh a question I forgot after re-reading your initial post to see if I can think of anything else... Are these sticks of ram the first sticks you've used in that system? Or did you buy these as an upgrade and you had no problems before using them?

Even though I don't think its a compatibility issue, you can try getting Ram that is absolutely 100% approved for your mobo (manual or mobo manufacturer site should have a list) and buy it in a pack of 3 or make certain all 3 sticks are exactly the same.

Other than that, this could be a defective motherboard. Take 1 stick of ram and try booting the computer with it in each slot. Meaning, boot with it in slot 1 - if its ok, go to next slot, etc etc.

Oh a question I forgot after re-reading your initial post to see if I can think of anything else... Are these sticks of ram the first sticks you've used in that system? Or did you buy these as an upgrade and you had no problems before using them?

The problem is that Shuttle doesn't test any Corsair sticks above 1GB. I previously had a pair of competitor sticks (4GB each) that are on the approved list but they went bad and I wanted to go back to Corsair. These sticks also would only get recognized in slots 1 & 4.

• 1 month later...

Archived